Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer does not recognize new USBs

• Please log in to reply

jgilbert

jgilbert

• Pip
  • 4 posts
About a month ago, my desktop running XP Professional stopped recognizing new USBs. It opens the "Found New Hardware Wizard", but ultimately finds nothing. USBs that I have loaded before the problem started continue to be recognized and operate at they should. This includes flash drives, a scanner and an Iomega external disk.

I thought the problem was caused by Abusctrl for whenever I booted it told me it had a problem and it did not load. However, I removed it through the control panel and no longer get the message, but the non recognition problem continues.

Does anyone know what I can try next? Thanks in advance.

John Gilbert

Advertisements

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
Do you have the driver disk?

If so uninstall the usb ports in Device manager.
Right click My computer
click Properties
click the Hardware Tab
go to Device manager and uninstall the usbs from there
they will be under usb devices, uninstall all of them
reboot
do not let windows install the new hardware
cancel it if you can
choose 'have disk' and install the usb ports from the disk
Make sure you don't have anything connected to the usb ports

I am assuming this is a pci usb card
if not, let us know

jgilbert

jgilbert

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for your input. I also thought it was the USB drivers (which were installed with SP2. However, I recently discovered the computer recognizes and works with all USB devices that were connected before the problem began. By commected, I mean I can plug a previously recognized flash drive back into the computer and it works fine. I can also do this with previously recognized scanners and external hard drives.

However, the computer does not recognize USB devices that have not been connected before the problem began. I wonder if there is some routine in Windows that performs this function, but decideed to quit doing so.

John Gilbert