Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

normal.dot in Word

• Please log in to reply

paulsiam

paulsiam

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I am running Office 2002.
Also Adobe Acrobat Professional 7
I did not install the PDF makers for Office, and do not want them.
But the normal.dot for Word has been changed by Acrobat, so that I have at the top line "File-Edit-View-Insert-Format-Tools-Table-Window-Help-AdobePDF-AcrobatComments."

How can I get rid of the two Adobe in that line and return to the normal.dot??
Same for all the other Office Applications (Excel etc)

Thanks
Paul

Advertisements

Vino Rosso

Vino Rosso

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 235 posts
Hi

You can delete normal.dot and, when you start Word, Word will create a new default normal.dot. Of course, this means that you will lose any changes you've made to normal.dot yourself.

What I don't know is whether Adobe adds those entries as a one-off during installation or whether it checks for them each time Adobe starts. You'll know the answer once you've run Adobe.

paulsiam

paulsiam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
i tried now to delete normal.dot; when I restarted Word, Adobe put it all back in again. So I think it must be somewhere in the Adobe Program. any clues for me to follow up?
Thanks for help.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi paulsiam.

Have you confirmed that Adobe PDF Creator is not installed? Check Add/Remove Programs.

If it had ever been installed, it could have added a template file that adds those other menu options. The file most likely would be located in one of these locations:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE##\STARTUP
C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP

You may need to show hidden files/folders in order to see the files. Open My Comuter, click the Tools menu, Folder Options, View tab. Scroll to Hidden File and Folders and check "Show hidden files and folders".

Now with Word closed, browse to those locations and cut/paste any files you find there to your desktop. Reopen Word and see whether you still have those menu options.

Did that help?

paulsiam

paulsiam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Thanks for the help.
There is nothing in the startup folder.
I have tried to uninstall Acrobat Pro 7; and then I intended to reinstall and make sure that the pDFMaker is not installed. But now I have all uninstalled except three files in Adobe Acrobat 7\ActiveX\ and the three files are:
AcroIEHelper.dll
GbDetect.dll
pdfshell.dll

and each time I try to delete them, I get the error message Access Denied.
How can I remove everything first, and then try to reinstall?

Thanks!
Paul

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi paulsiam.

Just to confirm:
1. You have unintalled Acrobat Pro 7
2. Adobe Acrobat 7\ActiveX\ is located under Program Files
3. You checked both Startup folders, after changing the setting to show hidden files/folders
4. You still have the Adobe menu options in Word

I don't know why you're getting "access denied" when trying to delete those files if the program is not installed. You did reboot after the uninstall before trying to delete those files? If so, you may need to unregister them before deleting them.

Click Start, Run, type “cmd” then click on OK.

Type “regsvr32 /u filename.dll” where “filename” is the name of the file that you like to unregister.

paulsiam

paulsiam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Yes, all your questions are correct. That is how it is on my computer. EXCEPT: no more menus of Acrobat inside any of the Office applications.

I tried the cmd, and got the message "File not found"
but it is still there! I just checked.
i looked at the properties of the files, and they are NOT Read only (nothing checked in that box).

Very strange.

I have "remove on Boot" program, and it usually removes files like this, but when I putin the name of the file, it also comes up immediately as "Access denied."

Anything else I might try?
Thanks again!

Edited by paulsiam, 27 August 2007 - 02:25 AM.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Well, at least your Office apps are fixed.

Check out How to Delete.