Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

After Build?

• Please log in to reply

phatjo911

phatjo911

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
After I have turned on my computer for the first time after I put it together, (and after I install windows) How to I perform the windows update?
Also, after installing windows, should I install the drivers for the hardware with the cd it came with or shoudl I get it directly from the manufacturer's website??

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Windows Update you just click on the appropriate icon on the Start Menu. However access to the updates is only available these days with an activated and genuine (aka legal) copy of Windows.
As for drivers, initially you can use the ones on the CD or you can download new ones. Ideally newer ones are better but you often find that the online drivers are the same versions as the ones on the CD anyway.

fortune82

fortune82

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
well, you dont need a legal copy of vista. microsoft dropped the ball with the anti-piracy software, and now pre-cracked versons of vista are widely available, which means they install already cracked. (altho it mightve been dell that killed it, cuz all the cracked versions bear the dell welcome center)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

well, you dont need a legal copy of vista. microsoft dropped the ball with the anti-piracy software, and now pre-cracked versons of vista are widely available, which means they install already cracked. (altho it mightve been dell that killed it, cuz all the cracked versions bear the dell welcome center)

Yes, but Geeks to Go! won't provide support for illegit versions of Windows. And also, the question was about accessing Windows Update, which the Microsoft system double-checks your version before allowing access to the updates. Neil is right - if you haven't even registered it yet, then the updates won't be accessible. That's why you need to register your version first thing after a fresh install, so you can get the updates straight away.