Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB device not recognized for unknown device

• Please log in to reply

waahooo

waahooo

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
A USB Device Not Recognized for Unknown Device sign keeps popping up, however all my USB devices are working properly. Even when I remove all my USB devices I still get this pop up. It started happening about two weeks ago. I tried updating the driver, disabling and uninstalling it, but it keeps coming up. It's also not on any USB port on my computer. I have ports 1-4 on the back and 7 and 8 on the front, and it's telling me this unknown device is on port 6. It's a constant bother, seeing it pop up every minute or less.

Advertisements

methalorange

methalorange

• Pip
  • 3 posts
i hate to bring up a dead thread
but did you ever get a solution to this?
i am have the same problem

waahooo

waahooo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Nope, haven't fixed this one yet. Been popping up over a year strong now. I've been thinking it could be a problem with the connections in the motherboard but I've been too lazy to check.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

but I've been too lazy to check.

Then check them, we are not going to get nowhere if you are too lazy to check them, try plugging another usb device into that same port where you get the error message, also try it in all of the ports. If you try another USB device that you know works in another machine and recieve this message it will be down to the port/ports on the motherboard.

Regards

Edited by wizzy2k5, 25 October 2008 - 06:40 AM.

waahooo

waahooo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I've tried plugging my usb devices in other ports but it didn't do anything. All my usb devices work. The port that's mentioned in the error has nothing connected to it. It's a phantom device.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

I've tried plugging my usb devices in other ports but it didn't do anything. All my usb devices work.

Hello waahooo

In this case if all of your usb devices are fine and do not register with your usb ports then your ports on the motherboard have gone. You do not need to buy a new motherboard to fix this, all you need to buy is a pci usb card and install this to a pci slot on your motherboard, then install the drivers and then everything else will be fine providing you have a spare and working pci slot.

Regards

waahooo

waahooo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Thanks for the input. I'll let you know how that works when I get the new card.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Thanks for the input. I'll let you know how that works when I get the new card.

Your welcome, I am happy that I could be of some assistance and please let us know the outcome as we appreciate it

Regards