Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista Error 1500 another program is already being installed?

• Please log in to reply

gowers

gowers

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok I don't know quite where to start with error logs and the such so i'll describe my problem first

Vista works fine (apart from companies not updating drivers) until recently. I tried to install a program, that i do regularly, and it spit out an error

'Another installation is in progress. You must complete that installation before continuing this one.'

Now i've looked through task manager, searched google, looked for virus etc etc but can't find anything about it. There are no installations i'm aware that need to be finished and indeed i can still install some programs while others fail. I'm assuming it's the msiexec.exe installer that has got stuck.

How do i go about resetting it to ignore or complete this mysterious install?

Also itunes won't install or uninstall but will run if i go into the program folders (i'm assuming it was this that has started it all?)

Any help will be so appreciated as i'm stumped so far
thank you for your time.

Vista Home Premium
Dell Dimension 9200
2Gig ram
3.14ghz dual pro

Advertisements

gowers

gowers

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Anyone? Help

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
what software are you trying to install?

gowers

gowers

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
well there are a few installs that don't work
Noiseware Professional 2.6.0.1
Itunes 7.x

Is it possible to recall unfinished installations?

pavesa

pavesa

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am new to Geeks to Go, and I am far from being a geek, but I am trying to figure out how to solve this problem. Maybe I should be asking a question some other place rather than replying here, but I don't know where to go to ask the question. My problem is the same as that addressed in this topic: I received the message: "Error 1500. Another installation is in progress. You must complete that installation before continuing this one."

As far as I can tell, this specific message appeared for the first time when I was trying to uninstall a program called "Before You Know It 3.6." It happened again as I was trying to uninstall Adobe 9. I don't think either of those programs are the underlying cause, because I have had a continuing series of glitches related to start up and to installations. For example, a recent one said: "The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or other removable disk that is not available. Insert the ‘Sonic Update Manager’ disk and click OK." It was followed later by a message that referred to "...installation package ‘UM.MSI” in a folder from which you can install the product Sonic Update Manager."

Can anyone help?

pavesa

HP Pavilion dv5040us Notebook PC (laptop)

pavesa

pavesa

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am new to Geeks to Go, and I am far from being a geek, but I am trying to figure out how to solve this problem. Maybe I should be asking a question some other place rather than replying here, but I don't know where to go to ask the question. My problem is the same as that addressed in this topic: I received the message: "Error 1500. Another installation is in progress. You must complete that installation before continuing this one."

As far as I can tell, this specific message appeared for the first time when I was trying to uninstall a program called "Before You Know It 3.6." It happened again as I was trying to uninstall Adobe 9. I don't think either of those programs are the underlying cause, because I have had a continuing series of glitches related to start up and to installations. For example, a recent one said: "The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or other removable disk that is not available. Insert the ‘Sonic Update Manager’ disk and click OK." It was followed later by a message that referred to "...installation package ‘UM.MSI” in a folder from which you can install the product Sonic Update Manager."

Can anyone help?

pavesa

HP Pavilion dv5040us Notebook PC (laptop)

mtanmomma

mtanmomma

• Pip
  • 1 posts
try this - worked for me!

http://techrepublic....ssageID=2575169