Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Me Restore Problem

• Please log in to reply

Brad1951

Brad1951

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I ran a trial-version of a registry and hard-drive cleaner a few days ago and now when I either try to do a system restore from a past date there is not any showing for the last 2 months (and there were several) and if I try to create a new restore point I get the message " system restore cannot run-restart your computer and try again".. I restart and try again and get the same results. Any ideas what happened?I'm a little uneasy about my restore function not working-any suggestions would be appreciated

Advertisements

ditto

ditto

- i pwn n00bs -

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
hey brad,

-Restart your computer in Safe Made. (Press F8 at start up to go in safe mode)
-Click Start, point to Search, and then click For Files or Folders.
-In the Named box, type wininit.ini
-In the Look in box, click Local hard drives, and then click Find Now
-Right-click the Wininit.ini file, click Rename, type wininit.xxx, and then click OK.
-Close the Find Files window, and then run System Restore again.
-If the problem is fixed, go to start->run then type in command. At the following screen type scanreg /fix

let me know how it goes

ditto

Brad1951

Brad1951

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey ditto, thanks for the help. I did as you said-safe mode search and it didnt find anything under "wininit.ini " but if I left off the "ini" it found wininit.bak and wininit.err both with a recent date to it 5/29/2004 , wininit.sav from 5/22/03 and just plain wininit from 6/8/2000. Did the file cleaning program I used get rid of my wininit.ini file and if so how do I get it back?? there wasnt any "back-up" options on the cleaner so I'm spinning my wheels there. Hope to hear back from ya-thanks

John Redfern

John Redfern

• Pip
  • 1 posts
There is a problem with System Restore on Windows ME. Its all to do with installation dates. Visit Windows ME section of MS Windows Update and search for the patch, which does work I've used it. <_<