Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows freezes when starting in safe mode.

• Please log in to reply

aiuppa

aiuppa

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello, I am currently trying to remove some malware from my computer (psguard), but I have discovered that my computer will not start in Safe Mode. Safe mode, safe mode with networking, and safe mode with command prompts all display the same problem. During the black screen period directly after selecting Safe Mode and hitting enter, the list of drivers fills the screen then freezes. for example:

Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\...........SYS
Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\...........sys
Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\...........SYS
Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\gagp30kx.sys

The last entry I have listed (...\gagp30kx.sys) is always the last line before the computer freezes.
I would appreciate any help in solving this problem, so I can make my computer happy again thank you.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It can hang for quite a while before moving on

Is the processor light active?

arou402

arou402

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi, you could try re-setting the bios to default. that sometimes works. Or if you have your xp disk, boot from that and press R for repair to enter the recovery console. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058 will tell you about recovery console.

Edited by arou402, 27 August 2007 - 08:47 AM.

aiuppa

aiuppa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I've let it sit for about ten minutes with no success, and the processor light is not active. I'll see if I can boot from a disk though...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I've seen it take half an hour or more to get past these hangs. Let it sit there for at least that long to see if it will move along.