Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

E-mail address hijacked

• Please log in to reply

dncee11

dncee11

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I suspect that my e-mail address is being used to send spam; the evidence is many many returned e-mails to my in-box from addresses that I do not recognize such as the one below:

The original message was received at Thu, 23 Aug 2007 07:44:05 +0900 (JST) from [61.37.57.2]

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors ----- <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]>

----- Transcript of session follows -----
551 5.2.2 bskensei:Mailbox full or quota exceeded
554 5.0.0 Service unavailable
551 5.2.2 bunmei:Mailbox full or quota exceeded
551 5.2.2 cactus:Mailbox full or quota exceeded

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.5.484 / Virus Database: 269.12.2/967 - Release Date: 8/22/2007 6:51 PM

These returns come from all over the world, Japan, Brazil, etc. They come from Mailer Daemon and KPNXchange, among others.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance
David N Cook
Oxnard, CA

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
These are caused by other spammers forging the email address and headers to make it look as if you'd sent them, therefore they bounce back to your address and not that of the spammer who sent them.
They can also be caused by other people who are infected with viruses that spread by mailing everybody in the address book.

Just ignore them and delete them. Short of getting a new email address that's all you can do. Spam is everybody's problem these days, unfortunately it only takes one gullible idiot to click on a link to make the exercise for the spammers worth it.

Edited by Neil Jones, 27 August 2007 - 05:18 PM.