Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot Download anything!

• Please log in to reply

amartin07

amartin07

• Pip
  • 1 posts
For one when I start the computer up in normal mode I get nothing but the background. No icons, taskbar, etc. The only way I can get to programs is by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete. So i have been running it in Safe Mode with networking and it works except for the fact that I can't Download nothing!!! It will not even let me do it in normal mode. If I safe the file instead of opening it and try to do it that way it says "The Administrator has set polices to prevent this...". If I just click run instead of save nothing happens!!! I don't know that much about computers so If you can help me please do and please put it in terms I can understand LOL!! :whistling: THANKS!!!!

Advertisements

arou402

arou402

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi
You could try this: start in safe mode > click > start > control panel > user accounts > create new account. make a new administrator account and password. shut down and re-start, log on to the new account and see if that works. If it does do the same steps again but this time make a limited account and log on to that one for surfing etc. Use the administrator account for opening any downloaded programs. you should always save any downloads so that you can scan them for viruses.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi amartin07...

Open Task Manager (Ctrl + Alt + Delete) and click on the "New Task" button. Type explorer.exe in the Open field and click on "Ok".

Do your icons and task bar reappear when you do this?

wannabe1