Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Starting to Look into Building a New Computer

• Please log in to reply

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
The P35 chipset cannot run SLI, nVidia would not lease the technology to intel.
James

Edited by james_8970, 31 August 2007 - 08:25 PM.

Advertisements

RichieB16

RichieB16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

The P35 chipset cannot run SLI, nVidia would not lease the technology to intel.

I know, thats the point. I am starting to think that SLI might not be worth it even in the long run because of the extra cost a large enough power supply would add. That combined with the cost of a second video card (even down the road) probably wouldn't make sense when I could just buy an up to date card then.

So, as a result, I'm thinking a P35 board might be the way to go.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
To be honest it's not, don't forget about how much hotter it'll make your room or the electricity bills. Also you only gain 20-40% with all that extra cost. The technology is far from perfect at this point in time. P35 will also support the next processors to be launched this coming holiday season.
James

RichieB16

RichieB16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
OK, then I think I'll be going with a P35 board.

I guess the next question would be what size of power supply should I be looking at assuming I go with the Intel e6750 processor (maybe e6850 depending on when how soon I buy), that motherboard, 2GB of RAM (for now), and the 8800GTS 320MB (or possibly the 8800GTX 768MB if the cost drops before I buy it) if everything else is the same as I listed before.

Edited by RichieB16, 31 August 2007 - 09:57 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Whats your budget for a PSU?
James

RichieB16

RichieB16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Well, I'm hoping not to spend more than $100 for one but I am also one of those people who will pay a little more to get something better. So, I'd say maximum would be $150 (or so) but I'd like it to be closer to $100.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Here's a really god PSU for cheap.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817371001
It comes to 90$ after mail in rebate.
James