Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

error when booting up

• Please log in to reply

Sic

Sic

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hi,

I just reinstalled (repaired) windows XP and when I'm booting up this error shows:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrup:

\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using th eoriginal setup CD-ROM.

Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair

This is a new motherboard and a new processor. Why does this error show?

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Windows repair is not always successful. This can be especially true when massive changes to the system are made, like you did. You have two options:

1: Reformat and perform a clean install (what I would do had it been my computer).

2: Repair registry hives. To do this follow theses instructions:

Repair CONFIG and ISASS.EXE error messages.

Adapted from Microsoft article 307545

This should not be attempted on xp OEM.

Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM or, at the end, instead of SYSTEM, you may see something else.

Repair the problem by using Recovery Console. For this you will need xp installation CD. If you don't have the CD try to borrow one.

To get to Recovery Console insert the disk into the cd drive and reboot the computer. Setup Windows screen will show up. If it doesn't, enter BIOS and set the cd drive to be first priority boot device.

Let Setup run until three setup options are shown. Choose Recovery Console by pressing R. When asked for XP installation type 1 (assuming you have only one operating system installed). When asked for password type your password or press Enter if you don't have a passwoed. A black DOS-like screen will show up.

At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following lines, pressing ENTER after you type each line:

md tmp
copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak

delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
delete c:\windows\system32\config\default

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

Type exit to quit Recovery Console. Your computer will restart.

Sic

Sic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Thanks for the quick reply mate.

I have already reformatted the drive, this is fresh now. I just used the repair feature of XP because of that error, I thought it would fix it.

And by the way, I could this use it, I just press 'r' and it boots normally (I don't know if it would still work after I shutdown this).. so can I do those instructions while I'm logged in? Like right now? I'm just a lil confused on what to delete or replace because I think those are supposed to be done in cmd in recovery console.?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If the PC is running now you could click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter

Sic

Sic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Ok thanks I'll try that now

Sic

Sic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
ok I've done sfc and it finished properly but i still get that error at startup.

but i can still open windows.. and i'm using it right now.. i just press 'r' but it's still annoying..

are there any other solutions that i could try?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the power button and keep tapping the delete key, (possibly F2) until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need your XP product key to complete this

The XP Product Key is a 25 character alpha numerical code, which does not include the sequence OEM

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

Click this to view the XP Repair Install Guide

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

The XP repair install will look and run as a normal install, however, you must not see a request to format the drive

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

Sic

Sic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Thanks for the continued support Keith.

But I've already done that (on my first post). Actually did that twice but same result.

COuld it be the xp cd? I can get a new one if it is the prob lem.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Sorry about that

You formatted the drive, installed XP and got the error from the start?

Were there any warnings about unable to load any files during the install

Is there any data on the drive you need

Have you got all the software CD's and product keys, along with your ISP username and password

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
In addition to what Keith wrote: The problem is realy starnge. Several posta ago I wrote down Microsoft's process for repairing registry hives. They recommend to perform the entire procedure. However, if you find it difficult here is another, shortened process:

Repair the problem by using Recovery Console. For this you will need xp installation CD. If you don't have the CD try to borrow one.

To get to Recovery Console insert the disk into the cd drive and reboot the computer. Setup Windows screen will show up. If it doesn't, enter BIOS and set the cd drive to be first priority boot device.

Let Setup run until three setup options are shown. Choose Recovery Console by pressing R. When asked for XP installation type 1 (assuming you have only one operating system installed). When asked for password type your password or press Enter if you don't have a passwoed. A black DOS-like screen will show up.

At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following commands, pressing ENTER after each line. Please note the space before system.old in the first command. Also note the space before c:\windows\system32\config.

Ren c:\windows\system32\config\system system.old
Copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config

Type exit to quit Recovery Console. Your computer will restart.

Zei Ng

Zei Ng

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,

I am still having problem starting my Windows. I tried all your suggested solutions but the error still comes out.. I have so many important documents in my harddrive...

Please help me... :)

Zei Ng

Zei Ng

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I already tried the:

Ren c:\windows\system32\config\system system.old
Copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config

from the command prompt Recovery Console, but it says "ACCESS DENIED".

Please... help me..