Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Looking for desktop for teen son - buy or build

• Please log in to reply

Kimmer62

Kimmer62

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
We recently took my son's HP into be repaired. We had re-installed windows as a last resort to try and save it, but even with that we couldn't open files, could get on-line. According to the folks that have looked at it, it seems to have been loaded with viruses so that it went into preservation mode (whoever said computers are not human :whistling: ). Anyway it has been looked at by the HP folks as well. I am thinking we are going to have to replace it, and here in lies my dilemma. We already have 3 really good computers if he wants to do anything fancy. I don't want to open an expensive computer up to the viruses he downloaded before, so we are looking for inexpensive but with what he needs. I am thinking this might be a build it ourselves, but frankly, I'd like someone else to build it and send it to us.

I have seen recommendations on this website and others for various build your own sites, but not thrilled about many of their no refund policy. Also we have discovered with another new computer that if we get vista (and I am not sure how or if we should avoid getting it), our Microsoft Office package we purchased for this son's computer less than a year ago does not work and we have to upgrade to Office 2007. this looks to be an additional $100-$200. SO if we get Vista we have to add this to the cost, if we go with Windows XP we don't...
Also I am not sure what, if anything we can salvage from the last one, but what I think we can is: Wireless Internet card, graphics and sound card, cd/DVD rom

Here are what he uses a computer for:
Productivity
Internet
digital production - Photos & Music
Gaming

I would appreciate your suggestions as to how to best proceed in getting a new computer.

Buy At a store or build on line?

As with many things I have a little knowledge so this is quite dangerous :blink:

in terms of CPU - Intel? AMD? something else?

Do I need to worry about FSB?

Speed?

Ram? 128? 256? or 512? I know more is ALWAYS better here but $$$

Hard Drive size?

Operating system? Do we stick with Windows? if so Vista or XP? given the problems and cost of upgrading office each time... But as only an end user and not a techie in any way, should we even think about Linux?

I'd really appreciate your input. If suggesting putting together our own do you have suggestions of places to shop? Are there places where these shopping places are rated?

Thanks in advance!!!

Kim

Edited by Kimmer62, 28 August 2007 - 09:14 AM.

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
hi, welcome to geekstogo, please don't throw that computer away, such a waste,never heard of a virus outlasting the reinstall, so two ideas, first of all geekstogo's malware removal forum members are some of the brightest and they would love this sort of thing, give them a shot, here's the link:

http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html

and secondly if you fear that this computer really is not suited for windows anymore then linux has a good track record without malware(though they say malware exists even on linux, I have yet to find anyone posting for help about linux malware) try a live CD to see if your system works on it, it will not effect your harddrive because it loads onto the ram only, and then and only if you like what you see go for the full install, many distributions of linux to choose from, choose one that is gui install and you are away(anyway not command line system install) I recommend kubuntu linux out of ease here, but each linux user likes his own system, Oh and linux is free both as in cost and in depth you wish to learn.

Edited by fleamailman, 28 August 2007 - 11:30 AM.

Kimmer62

Kimmer62

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
THanks for this info... I will let the folks at the forum have a go at it once we get it back... they have done wonders before for us.... But in the mean time will look into the linux stuff.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
thanks, they know their stuff, promise, good luck then