Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ethernet Card Trouble!

• Please log in to reply

Patrick Oh

Patrick Oh

• Pip
  • 6 posts
'm not entirely sure where to post this problem, but I figure this will work.

I recently moved into college and wanted to connect to the internet. To do so, I need to have an ethernet card installed on my computer. Having connected through wireless networks previously, I had to purchase a new PCI Ethernet Adapter card.

I built my PC a while back and it hasn't failed me until now. I have an ASUS P4P800-E with an Intel Pentium 4, 3GHz, and 1GB of RAM.

I tried to install the card, and I followed the directions. When I thought the card was installed, it didn't work. Under device manager, the card was showing but had an exclamation point next to it, and it said, "The device cannot start. (Code 10)". Under device manager, there are also two yellow question marks for both "Ethernet Controller" and "RAID Controller". I don't know what either of those means, as I have never had to worry about them in the past.

I tooled around with the card, and went back, returned the card, and bought a new one. I tryed to install it again, and got the same problem. I've put the cards in number of different PCI slots, to no avail. I was hoping if any of you could help. I have included some screen shots for refrence.

http://img512.images.../problemqr3.jpg

http://img124.images...problem2eg8.jpg

Thanks in advance for your help.

Advertisements

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Hi Patrick Oh, Welcome to Geeks2Go!! You don't need to purchase a new network card for your PC, your motherboard has a built in network card. That is the ethernet controller under Other devices. You should have a CD that came with your motherboard with the drivers for the ethernet card. If not here are the drivers for your ethernet card.

Patrick Oh

Patrick Oh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
ok, thanks! i got the card installed.

now how do i connect to the internet?

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Are you trying to connect through the Universities network?

Patrick Oh

Patrick Oh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
yes, i think so.

in my help book, it says i plug the cable in, and my browers should automatically take me to the conputer register page.

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Click on Start then Run then type in cmd then type in the command prompt window ipconfig /all . Post back with the IP address you get.

Edited by cmw2010, 28 August 2007 - 09:14 PM.

Patrick Oh

Patrick Oh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Your gateway is in the same 10.10.xxx.xxx range isn't it?

Patrick Oh

Patrick Oh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
yess

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
What happens when you open Internet Explorer, do you get the page not found error?

Patrick Oh

Patrick Oh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
yup. page not foound

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Do you still have the wireless card in there? If so try to disable it if you are not planning on using it for a while. If not I would try to reboot your computer and then try the internet again.