Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Show User's "Display Name" instead of "User Logon N

• Please log in to reply

Christine L

Christine L

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
May I know is it possible to show domain user's "Display Name" instead of "User Logon Name" as owner in print queue? Our company's domain using generic "User Logon Name", i.e. 001, 002, 003 and so on, each "User Logon Name" will have personalized "Display Name", e.g. Mary, John etc., but a problem is when a print job printed by a user is hold in the print queue of a network printer, other users won't know who is it (the owner of the print job may shown as 001, 002 etc.) and so not able to ask that user to remove the print job. Any ideas? Thanks a lot!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
to my knowledge this isn't possible....the print queue doesn't care about display names...just the actual AD username that started the job

if this printer is on a print server in your network...you should be able to cancel the job as an admin without asking the user to do it themselves...of course...then you can't figure out who to tell to reprint..

that's the problem with "generic" usernames and assett tags....my parent company in japan does this (all machines have an assett tag number for the computername with a department letter...so it would be like 02122-AC for an accounting machine or some junk...and the user names are created from the user's employee ID which is a 6 digit number)....it makes their network horrible to navigate....i mean...if you get an email from an antivirus scanner saying that 02122-AC has an infection...you've got to go to a master list that tells you where that thing is and who uses it etc... it's a pain in the butt

Christine L

Christine L

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Generic "username" may not good, but if using personalized "username", e.g. Mary, John etc., whenever staff change, need to migrate all data from old staff profile to new staff, it's time consumsing especially if there are a lot of applications installed on that PC, as you know, many app support multi users, then, need to resetup those app as well...what do you think?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i agree to a point...but there are methods of getting around some of that...but...that's neither here nor there...i doubt you'll be changing your network structure just to get a name on a print job hehe...i was just saying that i hate doing networks that way

Christine L

Christine L

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Certainly, achieve that small result but requires changing the network structure, no way.....hehe, forget it...but I may keep headache whenever staff changes, moving data between old and new windows's user profile..., resetup Outlook etc. etc., it's really too attractive to use generic username, whenever staff change, what need to do is just change the pwd and "Display Name", nothing more!!! It's really diffcult to make the decision to the standard...hate to use personalized username for just please the users...