Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

modem and router problem

• Please log in to reply

darkowen

darkowen

• Pip
  • 2 posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys/girls,

A friend of mine asked me to help him with his network at his business and my limited knowledge has gotten thus far.

I have a 3 comm switch, a d-link di 704p router and a alcatel speed touch home modem.

I need to access the modem to give it a new username and password and have tried to do this unsuccesfully through the router. There is WAN section with connection choices and it has PPPoe which allows either a dynamic or static connection and then i enter the username details and click ok then it resets and i get no connection.

I was able to connect directly to the alcatel modem and it have no accesible settings to enter directly a username and password. I presume this is because it is acting under direction from the router.

I have checked that the line is ok by hooking the modem up to a single computer and dialing in with my username and password to at least get internet on one computer.

So as far as i figure the problem i have is with the router and how to get it to accept the settings and give it to the modem

Any help is very appreciated and just ask for any information i may havent yet mentioned

Advertisements

Hurricane Andrew

Hurricane Andrew

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi darkowen!

the following info my be able to help you

http://www.mynetwatc...dsl/alcmgmt.htm

darkowen

darkowen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
hey mate,

thanks for the reply. the main focus of my problem is getting the router to tell the modem what to do

matt