Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem turning on new computer

• Please log in to reply

tuttle

tuttle

• Pip
  • 3 posts
hi,

i have just purchased on new computer that has no operating system on it.

the specs are:
Chip Type: AMD Athlon XP
Processor Speed: 3.2 GHz
Memory (RAM): 1 GB
Hard Drive Capacity: 120 GB

I was trying to turn it on to start loading on xp. When I press the power button the light comes on and the fans begin to whir and the light comes on on the cd drive. this all happens for about half a second and then it stops. nothing comes up on the monitor at all.

I checked all the connections (inside and out) and it all seems fine.

Of course, there was a bit a problem - on its arrival the fan had come loose from the mother board. I have clipped it back on but am worried that this has smacked into something and damaged the computer.

Wanted to try all options before screaming at the place I purchased the system.

thanks for your help

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
which fan?

Cpu? Or Case?

It is very possible that the CPU overheated and died...With that processor, it can literally take less than two seconds.

Funny things happen when a CPU dies. Sometimes, you get what you have, sometimes you get nothing. It depends on what part of the CPU died first.

Any beeps heard? If not, you are almost certainly looking at the CPU...

nathanw3

nathanw3

• Pip
  • 1 posts

hi,

i have just purchased on new computer that has no operating system on it.

the specs are:
Chip Type:  AMD Athlon XP
Processor Speed:  3.2 GHz
Memory (RAM):  1 GB
Hard Drive Capacity:  120 GB

I was trying to turn it on to start loading on xp.  When I press the power button the light comes on and the fans begin to whir and the light comes on on the cd drive.  this all happens for about half a second and then it stops.  nothing comes up on the monitor at all.

I checked all the connections (inside and out) and it all seems fine.

Of course, there was a bit a problem - on its arrival the fan had come loose from the mother board.  I have clipped it back on but am worried that this has smacked into something and damaged the computer.

Wanted to try all options before screaming at the place I purchased the system.

thanks for your help

View Post

check the power lead if not working go to the place at you buy the item and get a new one

f8 or f12 pust all off the fs

Edited by nathanw3, 14 April 2005 - 08:59 AM.

tuttle

tuttle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
hi,

the fan was the cpu one.

the computer was never turned on without the fan so don't think it's this).
it's not getting any beeps at all.

think I'll contact the computer shop. grrr

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Oh, I bet it was turned on without the fan...The guy who built it would have turned it on even without an OS to test basic function.

It's very simple for them to check. (you could to, but don't or they will play the warranty game). Pop the cpu heatsink off and if there is a black streak on the CPU, it's toast.

Also, if you can, try smelling the CPU...you can usually pick up a distinct, acid/burnt smell

tuttle

tuttle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
i'm pretty sure the fan disconnected in transit (it was delivered by the postal service) and when he set it down in my home I think he did a bit roughly. Who knows how he did it when on his own.

thanks for all the help.

have contacted the shop hopefully they will sort this out.