Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Frustrating PXE-E61 problem with SATA drives

• Please log in to reply

KD1PF

KD1PF

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm about to go nuts. Here's the tale
My wife's yr old XPpro system with a 300G SATA failed to boot and gave a PXE-E61 message(Intell boot agent, media test failure, check cable), assumed it had crashed and as it was (then) under warranty I took it back to where we got it. After a week of testing they said they couldn't recreate the problem. So, ok, maybe a loose connection.

I took it home bought a similar 300G SATA drive and a SIIG SATA raid controller and set up a raid 1 array.

Works fine for one month then won't boot, says missing some system files. SIIG says it should boot on the mirrored disk but won't.

I remove the RAID controller and it boots off of one disk but not the other then gives the pxe-e61 message.

I restore the system with the mfg's disk (non-destructive) and it works fine. I add back the second disk and it sees it ok, all my wife's stuff is intact but have to reinstall software.
'
I add the raid controller but don't hook the disks to it, no problem

Add the disks and it won't boot.

I do a total reimage of the the original disk, it looks just like out of the box, run disk check, virus check, spyware check. OK,

Add second disk, ok. Move wife's profile over with all her photos and music no problem.

After a week or so, SAME PROBLEM, pxe-e61 error.

Repeat entire process with newer disk.

Works fine for a week then same problem!!!]

Buy 3RD SATA disk, image from scratch, build up from scratch, OK
This time I image from scratch, reinstalll everything, check frequently with disk check, virus, spyware.

Works fine for week then SAME PROBLEM.

Reformat disk, reimage, etc. etc.

Works fine for week gthen ....SAME PROBLEM!

Not sure what to do next, impulse is to bring it back and cram it down the store manager's throat.

Not heat related, not virus, not spyware, not disk failure.

Always a non-bootable disk messge.

It will intermittently reboot then work for a while.

I just did a system restore and it just failed again..

Any ideas?

Edited by KD1PF, 30 August 2007 - 04:55 AM.

Advertisements