Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM Upgrade - Expert advice needed

• Please log in to reply

TTriton

TTriton

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My machine is a Dell C640 P4 1.8GHz currently with 2 RAM slots that each have the factory Samsung 256MB installed. Oh, and running WinXP Pro SP2.

Ok here's the deal... I was looking around for the best deal on RAM (to max out my system), and while on eBay I noticed someone selling 1GB RAM modules for my machine. The specs say that each side can hold a max of 512 for a total of 1G. Being the type of person I am, I wrote this guy and informed him that the system wasn't capable of using the 1GB RAM modules. I thought he hadn't done his homework. He's sold many many items and has 99.7% positive feedback, so he's not a schmuck. Well...

He and I have been writing back and forth, and he actually believes that the C640 can hold up to 2GB of this RAM. He says others have bought it and that he's even running it in one of his own. ...don't know if I believe that last part. Anyway, the only bit of info he gave me as to WHY the machine can run it is because he says it's Low Density RAM. I'm not going to point the guy out, but if you look at RAM for a Dell C640, you'll see people selling the 1GB modules. The wild thing is - He guarantees it'll work.

One of the last things he said is that I'd need to be running a 64 bit OS in order to utilize the whole 2GB. That statement seemed out of the blue, so unless it's important in explaining this, disregard it.

I've checked everywhere I could (Crucial, etc...) and nowhere have I gotten even the slightest hint that this machine can run more than 512 per side (1GB total).

Now can someone either confirm that what I'm thinking is right and that this eBayer is wrong -OR- (better yet) explain how these new 1GB modules can run in my machine. ...and if my machine is even capable of utilizing all of this RAM if I install it. I mean, hey, I'm willing to spend a bit more to give this thing more RAM to work with.

Thanks for any info!

Advertisements

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
IDK, I am getting mixed answers from different websites. I would try by contacting Dell, here: http://support.dell....o...=gen&~tab=1

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Your laptop can run a maximum of 1GB of RAM. Also note, while you don't need to install a 64bit OS to get 2GB of RAM to show, infact you can place as much RAM as you want in a 32bit OS, however a 32bit OS can only utilize 3.15-3.25GB of RAM. These numbers vary depending on your computers configuration. All in all it's useless to install anymore then 3GB of RAM into a 32bit OS.
James

Edited by james_8970, 30 August 2007 - 01:33 PM.