Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Upgrade serial key question

• Please log in to reply

fear187

fear187

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
I am going to be fixing a friend's computer.
She has xp pro on it (installed via an upgrade installation cd).

I am going to be reinstalling the OS on her computer. I have a full retail version of Xp Pro and need to know
if her serial key will work fine with the full retail version of XP Pro? (Rather find out now instead of screwing myself
later if I were to wipe it out and figure that out on my own). Thank you!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi fear187...

The upgrade key and full install keys are different and will likely not work. You can, however, perform a complete, clean install using the upgrade disk and the upgrade key. You will have to provide a previous operating system disk in order to do this, but if it is currently running an upgrade, I assume you have access to her old installation cd.

wannabe1

fear187

fear187

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
ok, thanks for clearing that up.
I think that stinks then. It just complicates things. So, if you brought it to a computer repair company and they had to fix it then they'd have to install
and old operating system, and then install the upgrade cd lol. They should have just made it so you could use the CD key with the full retail version too, then it'd simplify life because you could just use a full retail installation cd when you had to reinstall the OS.

I'm not sure if she has the original (old) operating system CDs. If she doesn't, then I will just format the computer and install windows 2000 professional on it (because they hadn't yet made you do serial key activations with that os)... and then just run her the XP Upgrade CD. That should work fine right?

(I never understood why someone would bother doing upgrades, my personal preference is I'd rather have the full installation CD because of situations like this, if I ever had to do clean installs). I think upgrades are rather a waste of money. (my personal opinion).

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Use the XP Upgrade CD to do a clean install just as you would with a full install CD. Use the Win2000 CD as the qualifying product when it asks you for it during the install. No difference from a complete install from a full install CD other than the extra step. Use the upgrade CD key.

You need not install the older operating system first.

fear187

fear187

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
ok, thanks. =) I appreciate the information. Its a huge help.