Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cooler Master Thermal Paste Question

• Please log in to reply

HotTub

HotTub

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am a second time computer builder and recently purchased a Cooler Master Hyper L3 cooler. I noticed the bottom of the cooler has a gray coloring to it with a bunch of very fine lines etched in the meterial and was wondering if this is pre-applied thermal paste. I emailed tech support at Cooler Master and never got an answer. I don't want to assume it is without knowing for sure. Nowhere in or on the box does it say that thermal paste is included. It just say's that "heat sink + fan + fasteners + thermal grease you need is readily available". I wonder if this is Chinese English meaning it is.
Has anybody bought a Cooler Master Hyper L3 and determined if thermal grease is already pre-applied and if it is, would you recommend removing it and using Arctic Silver instead since I have some on hand.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there HotTub, welcome to Geeks to Go!

I don't believe it would come pre-applied, as it's best to freshly apply the paste as you're installing the cooler. You should have some instructions in there somewhere on how to clean everything up (processor and cooler), and then you could use either the Arctic Silver or the "thermal grease" included.