Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

GTG Log In

• Please log in to reply

ProEd

ProEd

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Just curious; when I attempt to log in from the GTG Home Page I receive a message that my Username is not recognized. I have no problem logging in from the Forums page.

Advertisements

Ryan

Ryan

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts
The home page is currently running off of WordPress, and uses a different users databse than the forums do, so this is why you are getting this error.

I believe that Admin is currently looking into getting the two systems to share the user data.

-Ryan

ProEd

ProEd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Ryan.... Thanks for the response. Here's one more for you.

Checking my email provider I find an email notification of a response to my post, in this case yours but always the same. I click on the link, am sent directly to your reply under the post and click the Add Reply button. However, I am not yet logged in and am notified of this by GTG. So.... I log in but am taken to the Forum's main page rather than the page I just left (your post reply). A few back page hits gets me back to the post, but, is it possible to get directly back to the page I just left after logging in? Am I missing an option here? Might this have something to do w/ Firefox?

Again, just curious. Most certainly not a criticism. GTG is getting better all the time and we appreciate it :whistling:

Happy trails.... ProEd

Ryan

Ryan

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts
That's odd, but it's nothing wrong on your end (it just did the same here, and I'm using Opera). I think in the past it did bring you back to the topic you came from; not sure why it's not doing that anymore.

I'll bring this to Admin's attention. Thanks for letting us know about it.

-Ryan

ProEd

ProEd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Ryan.... Let me know what you find out. Or, better yet, if this is a global thing (all members affected) perhaps GTG could post any pertinent update on the Homepage?

Happy trails.... ProEd :whistling:

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

is it possible to get directly back to the page I just left after logging in?

This is a confirmed bug, and we're working on it. Thanks for reporting it.

Regarding the homepage login, we have a couple of options. There are now scripts that allow the Wordpress blog and Invision forum user databases to be shared. However, they also require that they be merged into one database, and I'm not real fond of that requirement. The second option is to remove the Wordpress login completely. I can still add users for author roles, etc. And comments can be subcribed to without registering. In other words, there's no real need to have a Wordpress login. I'm leaning toward redirecting the Wordpress login/logout links to the forum, but have some scripting and cookie issues to work out.

ProEd

ProEd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Admin.... Thanks for your direct reply. I am sincerely honored & humbled (not a joke). To focus on this reply I've had to turn off my Dodger game (you cannot know how hard this is for me, esp. since we're winning). In any case, I know nothing about Wordpress, etc., but your description of sharing (internet?) databases concerns me as well. Would not be my 1st choice. As for the additional work required by you to work out issues.... I would consider this login issue to be a minor concern. You folks have plenty on your plate supporting us "pilgrims". From Ryan's & your replies I will assume that no one else has reported this (minor) issue, so will assume GTG visitors are working satisfactorily around it, as I have. Take it up when you have less important matters to deal with. As I said, just curious.

Happy trails.... ProEd

P.S.: I read the Homepage article re: IT After Hours. Decent article but does not tell the full story. I appreciate that the GTG staff puts in uncounted hours in professional development & research, far beyond the time spent in support for us pilgrims. Simply stated, thank you all. You're the best :whistling:

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

Admin.... Thanks for your direct reply. I am sincerely honored & humbled (not a joke).you all. You're the best :whistling:

It's me that's humbled to be sure. Thanks again for your feedback to make us better. We just try to do what's right! :blink: