Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Install generates error code 80096001

• Please log in to reply

Johnny Pockets

Johnny Pockets

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Greetings,

My 75-year-old mother inherited a computer from my brother a couple of months ago. She's learning all about e-mail and Google and she's so thoroughly modern! :whistling:

She was having weird issues with shutdown and crashes, so I decided to reinstall XP onto a freshly formatted drive to rid her of any fragments of whatever used to be on the machine.

During install, I received a message that there was an error during the install. System Setup Log says:

Error:

Installation Failed: D:/I386/asms. Error Message: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

Fatal Error:
One of the components that Windows needs to continue setup could not be installed.

The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

Error:

The signature for Windows XP Home Edition Setup is invalid. The error code is 80096001.

A system-level error occurred while verifying trust.

Fatal Error:

Setup failed to install the product catalogs. This is a fatal error. The setup files should contain more information.

I didn't do an inventory of the hardware before reinstalling. XP was the initial OS on the machine. I'm not certain that the re-install disc is for this specific computer. There is an XP license on the box.

I feel like a total dick for screwup up mom's machine. Can anyone help me to get this going so she can get back to her e-mailing and googling stuff like, "how do i get rid of those [bleep] ants in my yard".

Advertisements

Peat Moss

Peat Moss

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Might be worth trying an old Win boot floppy disk , fdisk first then format unconditional then install XP . Or if no floppy drive a cd boot disk like Barts Ultimate would work .

I play with a lot of older computers for friends and that old trick ( Fdisk ) works surprisingly well .

http://www.bootdisk.com/

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Johnny Pockets

Johnny Pockets

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the reply, Peat Moss.

I'm not sure what the problem was, but I managed to get it to work after multiple fails. I googled the error code and found this message: http://www.msfn.org/...T...=89&t=40155.

Based on it's not-exactly-the-same problem, I decided to interrupt the partition delete/format/install procedure. After a few different attempts with diff't processes, I ended up doing a quick format, and then continue on with the install after reboot. Worked like a charm. I've no idea why.

smilingcalico

smilingcalico

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am having the same problem, however when I try to go back and quick start, it won't let me. It takes me straight to the progress page, then shows the above screen. This is after installing a new harddrive. Any ideas what I can try? Thanks in advance.