Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Losing hope plz help..explorer errors

• Please log in to reply

Reece

Reece

• Pip
  • 5 posts
<_< I have not been able to get into my control panel, any of my desktop icons, and several other things since I updated my Win98 IE and did the security updates. I can delete folders from Win Explorer but I cannot open files. Nothing changes when I am in safemode. In searching multiple forums, I have run spybot S&D, housecall?? virus scan, uninstalled and reinstalled IE6. deleted wierd things from hyjackthis log, uninstalled the lastest updates that would allow the uninstall. I do not have a Win98CD (this was a free puter from my old boss) and I am about to lose it.... I need to get my daughter's pix off the hard drive!!! PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE HELP ME! :D

Thank you
Reece

Advertisements

ditto

ditto

- i pwn n00bs -

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
hey reece and welcome to geekstogo!

try this.....

go start->run and then type it msconfig and hit enter.

then go to the start up tab and scroll down and look for plugin.exe. If its there uncheck the box next to it and restart your computer. If its not here let me know.

ditto

Reece

Reece

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
:D I did not post that one right .... anywayz, I do not have plugin on the start tab... I read an article that said to remove 'plugin' from my load line in either sys.ini or win.ini... I don't remember.. but I don't have it there either..
Thanx for the welcome! <_<

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Have you tried restoring the registry?

Create a bootdisk http://www.bootdisk.com. Start your computer with this disk in the floppy drive and at the command prompt type c:\windows\command\scanreg /restore. Select a date before the problem began. <_<

Reece

Reece

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes, nothing changed

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Hi Reece,

Try the recommendations in this link: Desktop Icons and Taskbar Are Missing

First Method 2, and if that doesn't work, Method 3.