Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Corrupted files/HD?

• Please log in to reply

Archetype

Archetype

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I've noticed that since yesterday, I've been getting a lot of messages regarding corrupted files and a blue screen message that tells me to run a chkdsk at start-up to check my file consistency for possible errors. I've also noticed that whenever I reboot, I go back to the same status my pc was in yesterday (i.e. the recycling bin has all the same files as yesterday on reboot, even though I keep emptying it).

Can anyone help me out with my situation? It's really driving me nuts!

Btw, I've also been getting messages about low disk space as well, but as mentioned before, I can't seem to delete anything without having my pc restored to the same state it was in yesterday!

Edited by Archetype, 01 September 2007 - 03:21 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This is usually a sign that the drive is on the way out, a common symptom that Windows wants to run CHKDSK on the thing on every boot despite you not scheduling one manually.

Archetype

Archetype

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
So...I have to replace my HD now? Is there a way to fix the issue without doing that?

Edit: Argg I keep getting this message now

Posted Image

Does anyone know what that's all about?

Edited by Archetype, 01 September 2007 - 07:03 PM.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Many manufacturers of disks have a diagnostic program that will give you an idea of the status of the disk. Sometimes it can be a bad sector, which can be fixed and things will be ok. Other times it will be multiple sectors, which is a bad sign and even if it can be fixed, it is a an idea to replace the drive. It can also be a problem with the controller board on the disk.

Go the to web site of the disk maker and see if you can find such a program and test the disk.