Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My computer "grinds" at start up

• Please log in to reply

kitkat612

kitkat612

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi..My computer makes grinding noises at start up. I have run CCleaner for days on end, also defrag'd, and run disk clean up. Any other suggestions? Yes, I run Zonealarm firewall, and have antivirus up to date on computer, too. using Winxp. Computer is compaq presario. less than 2 yrs old. amd athlon3200/512 mb ddr sdram/ 200gb. dvd=rw/cd-rw.

Thank you! :whistling:

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
What sort of grinding noises? These can also be caused by a fan who's bearings are on the way out.

kitkat612

kitkat612

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Neil, when either my computer sits idle, and "wakes up" or, if I power down the machine, the cpu makes noises like it is working really hard. It makes the same noise when I run the CCleaner, or run a scan. "working hard" noises. I'm sorry - you can tell I am not an IT professional. :blink: I'm just a dumb cardiac worker - give me a beating heart..and maybe I can keep it beating. Give me a computer..and I can goof it up. :whistling: I realize I have not given you very good diagnostics to go with. Thank you for your trouble. kitkat

Peat Moss

Peat Moss

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
It could be your Hard Drive going , I'd back up my important files "now" just to be safe . Do you have a spare hdd to try ?

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
Or it could be the SATA's "death cry". Do you have a SATA or IDE HDD?

kitkat612

kitkat612

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Peat - gosh! ty for the suggestion. I have been considering purchasing a portable hard drive - guess I better do it NOW. My computer is still under warranty . maybe it is time to be sent in. Amazing how much I rely on the baby. Guess I'll just have to do without for a few weeks. :blink:( thank you for making me aware that this COULD be a huge problem.

:whistling: Kitkat

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Yeah it looks like the hard drive is going out. To bad harddrives don't last forever. (I wish they did lol)

Yeah dont mess with anything if it is still under the manufacturer's warranty.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Could be the result of cpu overheating and as result the cooling fan on the heatsink running full speed. Please download Everest from my list of programs below, install and run it on Computer > Sensor. Wait few seconds for data to show up and register the temperatures (cpu, HD, motherboard). Keep the program open and run a scan with your antivirous. After 10-15 minutes register the temperatures again. Please report the temperatures.

Peat Moss

Peat Moss

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Under warranty ? Exxxxcelent but don't assume the dealer will back up your files , thats your responsibility and a good habit to implement anyway . Many ways to do it from Ghosting your drive to making a slipstream install disk . Good luck tho .

kitkat612

kitkat612

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Dear Mr. Skeptic...I did as you suggested..downloaded the program (everest) , installed and ran a scan. temp started as : motherboard 35c/cpu 54c/seagate37c....then...during scan...35/53/37....end of scan...36/50/39.

had no idea that internal temps could be taken. lol. kinda like being at work ..

kitkat

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Temperatures are OK. Please open the side cover, listen carefully and try to locate the source of the noise. It might be that the bearing of the cpu fan is failing and that's why you get such noise at startup (the fan is at high speed during startup and slows down later) or during higher load when fan speed is icreased.