Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Card Problem?

• Please log in to reply

donksboy252

donksboy252

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi all, been having problems with my ATI radeon 9800 pro recently. Basically went to a friends LAN last week and kept having issues when trying to run -any- game (UT2005, Warcraft 3, Half Life 2, Dawn of War etc). I get so far into the game menu and then my PC just dies, my monitor loses any signal to the PC itself, and I end up having to manually reset the PC to get back to windows.

I'm not 100% sure it is a video card issue, but that's what I'm inclined to think seeing as the problem only ever occurs when I'm trying to game.

The PC is starting to get a bit old now and I may get a new rig soon anyway, but I'd like to get this working asap as I need to gather some cash to buy the new one :whistling:

I'm kinda expecting you guys to tell me I'll need a new card but wondering if there were any tests or checks I could utilise, all help is appreciated,

Thanks in advance, Adam.

Advertisements

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
I am pretty sure it is an overheating problem of the CPU but it could bet the video card. The game is making your CPU work extra hard and once it gets too hot it just shuts down. To rule out that it is a CPU cooling problem and not a video card problem run Prime95. You can download it from here: http://files.extreme.../file.php?f=103
Prime95 will work your memory and CPU to make them very HOT. If your computer shuts down after running it for a while then it is a CPU cooling problem.

Let me know how things turn out.

donksboy252

donksboy252

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks mate, I'll run it and let you know what happens.

donksboy252

donksboy252

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Bumping the post, I'm still having the same problem. I've run prime95 torture tests without any issues seemingly ruling out a CPU overheat as my concern, does anyone else have any ideas what my problem could be? Overheating GPU maybe?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
problem isn't the cpu. Are you having any problems with non gaming applications?

have you tried using some canned air and blowing out all the fans on the computer?

donksboy252

donksboy252

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
No issues with non-gaming apps mate, my PC isn't particularly dusty, but I'll give the canned air/fan cleaning a go and report back,

Cheers, Adam.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
The reason I suggested that is that normally these issues are caused by heat.

It's also quiet possible that your card has simply reached its end of life. A venerable card, but still its over five years old now.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Be sure to include the video card in the blow out... ( with the canned air ) it could be that the video card is overheating.... I'd also look for dust around the edge of the card where it plugs into the motherboard.... also since you said this started after taking it to a lan party you might want to pull the video card and plug it back in... maybe it isn't seated well... Those cards can start rising out of the slot when transported...