Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Could I get suggestions on an external hard drive purchase? and how to

• Please log in to reply

kitkat612

kitkat612

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi. On a previous topic which I posted, it was suggested that my hard drive may be on it's way out. So, it would be prudent to back up my info.

I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion on a brand of hard drive? And, do they come with easy to use software or should I purchase some? I have heard that some are capable of an "automatic" back up? I don't want to try to pick and choose thru files. I prefer to just have everything saved.

* when I save my info, will that save the actual programs, too? Or, after having a new hard drive installed, will I have to go and seek out copies of programs on my computer? My PC did not come with " back up disks" as my original computer did. However, when I purchased the computer, I did make backup disks. To what extent do I need to use these?

Here is my guess? 1. computer goes to "shop" cuz still under warranty. they decide what might be the problem and 'fix it". I'll stick with the theory that it is the hard drive. 2. They will replace the hard drive. *When I get my computer back, I imagine it will be set to original factory settings again? I use DSL, and had to install a CD, CD for my printer, for my webcam, etc. Will I have to reinstall all cd's? Also...I have had various viruses that are quarantined. When I reload files from the extrernal hard drive - will they be reinstalled?

Sorry..have never had to do this before, and it is a bit overwhelming :blink: Any suggestions would be so greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Kitkat :whistling:

Advertisements

sharlpero

sharlpero

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Hi

I use Acronis True Image.
When you create a clone of your hd you'll be able to restore it to a new hd with all programs and settings. It means that you won't need to install all your programs from cds again.
There are a lot of feautures, so I can't describe all of them. Just look at link.

Edited by sharlpero, 03 September 2007 - 02:19 PM.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
I'm sure that you will get many different opinions about the sort of external hard drive to buy. I like Maxtor, but there are several very dependable brands out there: Iomega, Seagate, and Western Digital all have good reps. Almost all offer free back-up software, and some offer an "auto" and/or push button back-up as well.

I suggest that whatever brand you get, that you consider obtaining one with it's own cooling fan. I also recommend that you not get a USB-powered drive. Problems with USB in general will prevent the drive from even powering up. The larger drives come with their own power cord.

Because firewire is not yet fully implemented, I cannot recommend it. Yes, it is faster, but that won't help if it is incompatible with your system. USB 2.0 is pretty darn quick.

Go out and pay retail. Sure, e-Bay has great deals, but many of us have been burned there. No way to tell whether the drive is new or used on the outside. Easy to wipe an old, used hard drive, put it in a shiny new enclosure and sell it for new. If it seems too good to be true--it is! There are many reputable dealers on-line. Newegg and Tiger Direct are both highly rated. Get paper with it.

You are entitled to some value-added features. Something like a multi-card reader and/or USB extension ports are always nice.

Make sure that eveything you need is in the package: Drive, power cord, USB connector cord, software, and warranty. I think it best to get it fresh and load whatever is required myself. I tend not to overly trust the level of competence of most hourly workers these days.

Once you have it, remove it from the system or turn it off by using the "Safely Remove" feature first. That way you protect your data, and ensure that Windows will recognize it the next time you turn it on.

PS: If the external hard drive is turned on after Windows is booted up, the "Autoplay" process will initiate. This is normal and no amount of tweaking or fiddling seems to stop it while retaining full functionality. If the external drive is powered on before booting Windows, then it simple appears in "My Computer" and no "Autoplay" dialog displays.

redline582

redline582

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
In response to purchasing a hard drive, from my personal experience i would stay away from Maxtor, the tend to die on you relatively quickly. Seagate and Western Digital have always worked great for me. I buy mine from www.newegg.com. Good Luck!