Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NEED ADVICE! which external hard drive is better? Seagate FreeAgen

• Please log in to reply

KGB_agent

KGB_agent

• Pip
  • 4 posts
hey geeks! :)

i need some help here.. i'm thinking these days of buying an external hard drive for backing up purposes.. but i was confused between two external hard drives on which one is better!! :whistling: I read a lot of reviews but still! so give me ur opinions and advices please..
i have a Toshiba Tecra laptop that's about to explode with files.. i use windows XP and i'm lookin for something not too big and easy to use and copies files fast with a reasonable price.. so which one do u think is better?

(Seagate FreeAgent Desktop 500 GB USB External Hard Drive ST305004FDA1E1-RK)

http://www.amazon.co...K/dp/B000ND75C0

or

(SimpleTech 500 GB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive (SP-U35/500)?!!

http://www.amazon.co...2060447-5693605

and if you have any other suggestons, lemme know!
thanx :)

:blink: KGB agent :help:

Edited by KGB_agent, 03 September 2007 - 11:51 PM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
From those two I would choose the Seagate since the other one gives no mention of the actual disk manufacturer (reliability?), whereas with Seagate you know the disk is also made by them, and it's a tried and trusted name.

Personally I prefer to buy my own disk and fit it into an external drive enclosure since it's often cheaper that way and I can choose my own preferred brand of disk. Buying an external drive 'ready made' does have the advantage of giving you (usually) an automatic backup utility but that doesn't appeal to me. Manually backing up is no big deal -- it doesn't do to trust backups to work automatically 'cos it may let you down.

**Brian**

**Brian**

Semper Paratus: Always Ready

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

From those two I would choose the Seagate since the other one gives no mention of the actual disk manufacturer (reliability?), whereas with Seagate you know the disk is also made by them, and it's a tried and trusted name.

Personally I prefer to buy my own disk and fit it into an external drive enclosure since it's often cheaper that way and I can choose my own preferred brand of disk. Buying an external drive 'ready made' does have the advantage of giving you (usually) an automatic backup utility but that doesn't appeal to me. Manually backing up is no big deal -- it doesn't do to trust backups to work automatically 'cos it may let you down.

I agree with pip22 here: Seagate is a better value, and I trust them better then something that does not specify. I own a 160GIG External Seagate drive, and she has done wonders for me doing backups. Its easy, and fast to do, and does not need external software to back stuff up. She is a USB 2.0 drive, and my machine has a 1.0 interface, so she does not run as fast as I would like, but she allows me to backup my entire archive of files, and I use it for my malware training as much as I can :whistling:

Good Luck!!

Brian

KGB_agent

KGB_agent

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you pip22 and Brian very much for ur advice :)

well, i'm too lazy to buy my own disk and fit it into some external drive box! x)
but i've noticed that there's an AC power adapter that comes with it.. what's that for!! :whistling: my sis has an external drive but she doesn't need to charge it or anything..
anyways, i'm gonna buy it soon :)

*goes to circuit city and FINALLY buys one* :)

again, THANKS A LOT GUYS! :*

:blink: KGB agent :help:

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
The AC power adapter makes sure your drive has plenty of power, otherwise the drive would draw power through the USB port as well as trying to transfer data. I like the separate adapter, a bit more fiddly but better.

KGB_agent

KGB_agent

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
oh i see!
thanx anyway.. i bought it two days ago from BestBuy for 139.99 + tax
and it works wonderful :help: it's smaller than i thought but it's kinda heavy! i like its design :)

thanx guys!

:whistling: KGB agent :blink: