Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black Screen

• Please log in to reply

collrest

collrest

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
Recently, a power supply was somehow burnt out .the reason is unknown due to my mom who was using it last and say she turn it off properly. In the morning I decided to turn on and it doesnt work. I guess it was the power suppy and I look for a new power suppy. I saw an ad on frys that a case with keyboard, mouse, and a power suppy for cheap($30) and decided to buy it.I just move my whole computer stuff from my computer old case into this new case with a brand new power supply. I was happy that when it turn on, because it didnt before, but notice my screen stay black even with the computer on. The moniter is saying that it didnt detect my computer Oo. I made sure that all the plugs and graphic card is seated properly and connected properly. I do not know what to do now. Help me :whistling:

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Is the power supply you purchased have a max wattage equal to or greater than the one you replaced? It isn't uncommon for a PSU to take a motherboard with it when it blows. I believe that is what happened it your case. Also a $30 power supply seriously puts you system at risk let alone a bundle like that. If you do get it up and running I would be surprised if the power supply makes it through the first month.

My only suggestion is to try a different motherboard in your system. Also you could take your other componants such as the HDD, RAM, and video card and try them in another computer. Rule out the posibility of those componants being bad then buy a new board (pending it works out like I think it will).

Edit: Also don't blame your mom, it his highly unlikely that she caused a power supply to blow.

Edited by Titan8990, 04 September 2007 - 01:20 AM.

collrest

collrest

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Is the power supply you purchased have a max wattage equal to or greater than the one you replaced? It isn't uncommon for a PSU to take a motherboard with it when it blows. I believe that is what happened it your case. Also a $30 power supply seriously puts you system at risk let alone a bundle like that. If you do get it up and running I would be surprised if the power supply makes it through the first month.

My only suggestion is to try a different motherboard in your system. Also you could take your other componants such as the HDD, RAM, and video card and try them in another computer. Rule out the posibility of those componants being bad then buy a new board (pending it works out like I think it will).

Edit: Also don't blame your mom, it his highly unlikely that she caused a power supply to blow.

It isn't uncommon for a PSU to take a motherboard with it when it blows.

Hmmmm i still dont understand that part...

Do i seriously need to get a new mother board? Then i need to repurchase window.... There has to be another way xD

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Whenever the power supply blows it sends a surge of electricty through your main board. This is what would have caused to fry. I am not telling you that it IS in fact the board. It is what I believe that it is and I gave you instructions on how to find out. The only way to go about it is to rule out the possibility of the other parts being bad. This shouldn't require a repurchase of Windows, just a simple repair install.

collrest

collrest

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
just to make sure before i do anything, I have to try out all my hard drives, ram and cd rom into a different computer to see of it is working?

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
The CD drives should be completly unplugged. They are not required to enter the BIOS or post. The hard drives also won't need to be tested as they can be unplugged as well and you will still be able to post (I know HDDs was one of things I mentioned, my mistake). So basically RAM and your video card is what needs to be tested. If you have intergrated graphics you can just test the computer without the graphics card. If you can test the CPU in another computer that would be ideal but in most cases people don't have that option. When it comes down to either the board or the CPU you typically always replace the board first. It is cheaper and fails much more often than a CPU does.

I would like to hear how it turns out. Hopefully you will get lucky and just the RAM is bad.

collrest

collrest

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
I know the grpahic card is working okay becuase my brother is using it right now, :whistling: He decide to take the advantage of using a better video card xD. Hmmm i might think it is the ram havest tested it since i didnt have time yesterday and today. On the mother board i see a light that is light up above ram. So does the light=bad?

Edited by collrest, 05 September 2007 - 05:15 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
That light probably just means there is power to the motherboard (not necessarily that your computer is turned on). My motherboard has one also. Are you able to test anything else in your brother's computer, like the RAM?

collrest

collrest

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
not yet, i didnt have a chance to, i have school and was quite busy. I never had a chance but i will do it tonight. Srry with the hold up.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
No don't worry about rushing, just let us know what you've done and the results when you get to it. :whistling:

Advertisements

collrest

collrest

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
unfortunately the ram is working... sooo it is either the cpu or the motherboard??? :whistling: We are running low on budget and don't think we can buy a new set of cpu or motherboard. But I will work at a job and hoping to fund some money i earned toward the thing that got busted. If, so, is there another way out of this without using money, I would fully appericate it.

Thank you for helping me :]

Edited by collrest, 06 September 2007 - 12:13 AM.

collrest

collrest

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Oh i also remember that my cpu's pointy metal things, was bent while I applying a coat of thermal paste. I bent it up right and place it in. Maybe that why it's not starting up

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
A bent pin can easily ruin a CPU. You can attempt to bend it back in place but there is a good chance you will have to replace the CPU. In light of this new information I would suggest replacing the CPU before the motherboard.

collrest

collrest

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
So if a bent pin on the cpu is not saveable??

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
It is possible, but only in a professional setting. The pin would have to be returned to it's exact position. Even if it fits in the slot, it still might be slightly bent and be causing the problem. A computer processor is a very intricate piece of equipment and should always be handled with utmost care.