Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help Needed

• Please log in to reply

alliwayne

alliwayne

• Pip
  • 3 posts
The top 2 inches of my laptop screen is flashing constantly. Is it terminal?

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
hi welcome to geekstogo, have you tried going into safemode to see if it is just the video driver, also like at device manager to see if there is a yellow blob meaning a driver is missing

alliwayne

alliwayne

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
hi, thanks. this may sound stupid, but how do I do those things? can't find anything like that!!

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
no problems, hope this is clearer than

to get into safemode
- turn computer on and wait for the first thing "the BIOS screen" to pass, and start taping the F8 key on the keyboard before you see the normal "window is loading" screen, it should then suddenly turn up a bunch of white lettered options like safemode, safemode with VGA(which is the one you want here) and others, anyway once you are in safemode and if you are still seeing those two inches flashing, it will mean that it is hardware

but if those two inches are not happening in safemode
to check if the driver is missing
- press the r button and the winkey button(the button that looks like microsoft's flag) on the keyboard
(the runbox appears)
- paste or copy this in slot: devmgmt.msc
- press enter
(device manager windows appears)
- see if there is a yellow blob on the icon representing the video card, if yes means we will have to find your missing video card driver

lets hope that it is software but I don't feel good about this one

Edited by fleamailman, 04 September 2007 - 01:44 PM.

alliwayne

alliwayne

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks again, tried safe mode - no change, also no yellow blobs in device manager. Time to shop around for a new one?

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
sorry, looks that way, but I hope someone else has another idea for you here