Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Are Laptop HardDrives all the same?

• Please log in to reply

hardvinyljunkie

hardvinyljunkie

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hi Guys
I have seeked some advice in another topic to find I need to replace my hard drive in my daughters laptop as smart is telling me its bad.

My new question is this: Are all laptop hard drives the same or do I need to be carefull on the one I choose?

I will be looking for a secondhand hard drive on Ebay and dont want to go buying the wrong one.

The Laptop I have is a Ei SYSTEMS 4419 with a toshiba 40gb hard drive.
If they are all the same are there any makes better than others?

Thanks
Martin

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
they are rellatively all the same...all laptop hard drives are 2.5" drives....the difference is that some are SATA and some are PATA (or IDE) drives..

i personally suggest NOT getting a second hand drive from ebay...you can get rellatively cheap drives from any computer shop and you'll have alot less problems with them

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
look out for size limitations too, for example some older computers will only recognize up to a certain size harddrive and no bigger, best use the size of the harddrive you have now as the guideline, another problem often the older harddrives bought new are more expensive than bigger new ones, so you are doing the right thing in buying second hand but dsenette is right go for a direct buy where possible in a second hard shop, rather than ebay, thanks

Edited by fleamailman, 04 September 2007 - 03:08 PM.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
The only other thing to be concerned with is the thickness of the drive.... If you get an older drive it MAY be to thick to fit in the hard drive. This is becoming less of a factor unless you have an ultra slim laptop but still something worth being aware of, especially when dealing with older equipment...