Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Operating system not found "vaio laptop"

• Please log in to reply

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
Sorry (long time since i did it that way) I forgot about the Smartdrv bit when doing it that why here’s the info on how to use it

To enable write-caching on a particular drive, carry out the SMARTDRV command and specify the drive letter and a plus sign. For example,
to enable write-caching on drive C, you would type the following:

smartdrv c+

http://www.computerh...om/smartdrv.htm help files

Simply put, SMARTDrive (SMARTDRV.EXE) creates a disk cache in extended memory. This significantly speeds up MS-DOS disk operations. Therefore, if you're installing Windows from the DOS level, place a copy of SMARTDRV.EXE onto the boot floppy disk that you boot with. After you boot your PC with this disk, execute SMARTDrive by typing SMARTDRV from the A prompt. It will only take a couple of seconds to load. You can then proceed with your installation of Windows. For both Windows 2000 and Windows XP, you begin the installation routine by executing WINNT.EXE, located in the i386 folder.

I don’t think the smartdrv is on the bootdisk so you need to download it

download

http://vetusware.com...TDRV.EXE/?id=52

Edited by peter99, 09 September 2007 - 10:45 AM.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks, I'll try this. I understood immediately what the Smart thing is for but since I was given the option to ignore it (simplifying the process) I chose to ignore it. I understood that the process may take longer so I left it for a long time. It didn't continue, just stuck where I wrote in my previous post.

Anyway, thanks for your answer and, as I said, I will give it a try.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
It worked with smartdrv c+. Thanks a lot.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Hi peter99.

I don't know if I'll ever use this procedure but i find it very intersting and I am sure that everything I ask is releveant to the topic.

Last question, I hope: Since the laptop owner doe's not have a cd drive, nor does he have a floppy drive, he must prepare his new disk, while on the other computer (the one with the cd drive), to be able to boot to into dos when moved back to the laptop (he can't use a floppy, obviously). How can he do that? How do you install dos to hard disk in such a way that it boots without a floppy?

Thanks.

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
I use a live CD

I can run utilities in windows, boot to a command prompt and use some utilities from there or use the Linux based OS which runs from the memory.

You can use a win98 ME OS disk to fdisk and format the drive.

I haven’t tried a USB bootable pendrive/memory stick yet as older computers don’t support booting from USB

Edited by peter99, 10 September 2007 - 10:08 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Hi peter99

Well, that's what I did. I used win98 rescue disk which enables DOS bootup. But that doesn't answer my question (if I understood the answer correctly).

We take the new disk which has i386 copied to the second partition (d) and want to install it to the first partition © which is not bootable. We attach the disk to a computer which has no floppy drive, nor a cd drive. How do we boot it to start the installation of xp? We must create a bootable hard disk because we can't use floppy or cd drive with any booting option, be it DOS, linux, BartPE or any other bootup program.

Thanks

kiladubz

kiladubz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
i dont get it, ive been tring with both win xp and win 98se to create 2 partition using fat32, but the only option i get in xp is ntfs or ntfs quick, and as for win 98se it doesnt give me the option to create multiple partitions, its been quite a while sice i took pc support and as you can see, i could use a refresher.

PS i would need to make windows install off the hard drive peter99, please respond!!!

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
How to install Win98/ME, W2K, XP if you don’t have a to a floppy and CD/DVDrom drive

Quick run down

To have ready
Win98 boot disk, download Smartdrv add to boot disk, OS on CDRom

Remove hard drive check the jumper is set to master, install into a computer/notebook
With a bootable CD/DVD-Rom drive, floppy drive optional
Enter the BIOS to make sure the drive is detected

Delete all partitions, use Fdisk or the Debug command, (see links) create new partitions and format using Fat32 and the format S switch

Create a directory on the drive insert disk with the OS and copy the files over to the drive

using Win98 boot disk

The drive has been installed and detected in the bios, whilst in the BIOS change the boot order to floppy drive first, Insert boot disk and reboot

Boot from floppy disk, use Fdisk to delete partitions
Create a new partition not using all the space, set the partition Active
Create a extended partition, then a logical partition in the extended partition
Reboot leaving the floppy in the drive
Format the partitions

The "/s" makes the drive a bootable drive by copying the file command.com to C:

format C:/S

then format d:\

when finished go to D:\ prompt and type

D:\md win98

This will make a directory for the files we are going to copy

Reboot the computer and choose start computer with cdrom support, this will push the drive letter up one. You will have a C, D, partition a ram drive created by the bootdisk E, and the cdrom drive letter F.

Insert the cdrom with OS on into the drive

At the command prompt change to F:

type

F:\CD WIN98

Then type

F:\WIN98 COPY *.* D:\WIN98

This will then copy all the files over to the drive

Reboot take out the cdrom disk and floppy disk, you should be at a C:\ prompt
Change directory to win98 type dir to check the files have been copied.

Reinstall drive to the other computer/laptop, make sure its detected in the bios bootup
Change to D

To start install

D:\WIN98\SETUP

FOR WIN2000 XP

The difference for win2000 XP

You need to run smartdrv before running W2K/XP

Copy smartdrv to C or run from floppy

Copy files from I386 folder to a folder on the partition

Command line Smartdrv C+

To start install is WINNT

ie d:\i386\winnt

LINKS

Smartdrv
http://vetusware.com...TDRV.EXE/?id=52

Debug
http://www.computerhope.com/rdebug.htm

ERASING SECTOR 2
This routine is useful in clearing DDO ( Disk Drive Overlay ) and unknown partitions

ERASE ALL HDD INFORMATION
This debug routine is used to erase all partition information on the hard disk drive and is only recommend for experienced users or users who are unable to delete the partition information through fdisk

Bootdisks
http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

Edited by peter99, 12 September 2007 - 03:50 PM.

kiladubz

kiladubz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
for some reason i cannot delete the logical partition, it wont let me, ive tried the to debug but it just says " bad command or file name" what am i doing wrong?

i apologize, the os is xp home apparently....

Edited by kiladubz, 13 September 2007 - 12:32 AM.

kiladubz

kiladubz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
bump

Advertisements