Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Add/Remove Programs Icon missing

• Please log in to reply

johnnyflorez

johnnyflorez

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi i've come on this forum to hopefully get some help on this matter...

I'm currently waiting for advise regarding malware:

http://www.geekstogo...rt-t169697.html

Well whatever has corrupted my pc/files has also made it impossible to remove software.

I've downloaded and attemped to reinstall Windows Installer and everything seems fine - asks me to reboot which I do. However the Add/Remove function is still not possible.

I've tried the steps on the following link using the command prompt: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315346

still doesn't work...

appwiz.cpl is not working and apparently msi.dll is missing which I believe is part of Windows Installer...

I've also tried extracting appwiz.cpl from my Windows XP cd into the system32 folder using msconfig

still no luck...

Any ideas? I just assume that whatever malware and corrupted files that are still on pc are stopping me from reinstalling etc... :whistling:

Pretty frustrated now.

I want to uninstall all Java and reinstall the latest... amongst other proggies...

I'm aware that Windows Installer is a crucial component.

Well any advise would be great. thanks :blink:

Advertisements

johnnyflorez

johnnyflorez

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Also...

If I open uninstall manager in HiJackThis I can see a software list but when I click on Open Add/Remove software list nothing happens :whistling:

I've tried to uninstall a program with its own uninstall icon to only see this:

Windows cannot open this file:

File: msiexec.old

argh! :blink: