Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to use internet wirelessly, even though connected to wireless n

• Please log in to reply

eunicemk

eunicemk

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi! I am able to connect to wireless networks (at home, at school) without any problems - but once connected, I am not able to browse the Internet.
When connected via cable, I have no problem browsing the Internet. I have no idea what to do! Any help/thoughts are much appreciated.

Advertisements

wirelesspacket

wirelesspacket

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Wireless Networks can be tricky at times..

Are you trying to connect with a Windows Laptop? Are you using the Windows Wifi Utility or a utility provided by the vendor of your wireless adaptor...?? Does the device you are using support the type of encrypted network you are joining? WPA, WPA2, WPA2 with TKIP and AES... Mostly all newer laptops with wireless adapters support these encryption standards...

Maybe you have inputted the wirelesskeys into your system incorrectly. Doing so can sometimes give you the apperience of connecting but with limited connectivity.

I would suggest instead of typing your key in manually, copy and paste the key when prompted into the field provided... Also make sure you are using he correct SSID (network name) when attempting to join.

Hope this helps...

Wireesspacket

Edited by wirelesspacket, 04 September 2007 - 11:25 PM.

eunicemk

eunicemk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I am using a pretty new VAIO laptop with built-in wireless which supports all those things. I tried re-entering the wireless keys by copy/paste, and I'm back to where I started - connected to the wireless network, but can't use the internet .. This also happens when I connect to my school's wireless network, so I believe it's some obscure setting on my own computer...