Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

• Please log in to reply

OY-KBN

OY-KBN

• Pip
  • 9 posts
hello guys ..

My Cousin at 10 have a stationary pc, only uses it when she's playing games on it,
one day she asked me, there's something wrong with her computer, The windows wont start...

anyway when i turn it on, it goes immediatly into the bluescreen, sayin a vital part of windows is missing, and i have tried to start it in safe mode, but still cant open windows

can anyone tell me how to reboot or formatting the pc ??

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
How you proceed depends on what Windows discs were supplied with the PC. If they are just 'RECOVERY' discs, no need to format the hard drive, just boot from the first Recovery Disc and choose to do a fresh installation. If, however, the PC was supplied with a 'proper' full copy of xp on a cd, just boot from that, select 'delete existing partition', then select 'create new partition, then let setup format it and xp should re-install from the CD. Hope she kept backups of her own stuff 'cos formatting will erase everything on the C drive.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
WAIT!

Patience PIP, let's not blow away any systems that we don't need to

You can sometimes fix this with a chkdsk /r or a fixboot command.

Once again, what kind of Windows XP cd do you have?

Also, you probably cannot, but tap the f8 key and see if you can get into the safe mode.