Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

router problem?

• Please log in to reply

e_p_a_k

e_p_a_k

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
i'm using a DSL connection on my computer. recently i installed a router by just passing the connection from the modem to the router, and then to the two computers. its worked before, i mean i've been able to go online using both computers at the same time, but sometimes it just won't connect. the diagnose function of windows vista just says that there may be a problem with my DNS. i don't know how to work it. i went online now by taking the connection off of the router and plugging it straight into the computer. how do i fix this?? the router didn't come with any software, so i must have missed something in configuring it

Advertisements

sgtfuzz

sgtfuzz

• Pip
  • 8 posts
If you know how to get into your router to configure the settings then input this set of dns addresses. 208.67.222.222
208.67.220.220 these address are from www.opendns.com. Also if none of this works see if you have a friend or relative or a repiable computer shop to come out and take a look at your routher. I do not recomed contacting the geek squad they will over change for last rate computer support.

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
What router are you using?

e_p_a_k

e_p_a_k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
i'm using an asus rx3041

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
have you got a usb modem or LAN?
How have you connect the modem and router togeather?

e_p_a_k

e_p_a_k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
the phone line goes into the modem, the modem goes into the router, the router goes into everything else..

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
Ok You need to log on to your router

Open a web browser like internet explorer or Netscape. Enter the ip address of your router in the address bar of your browser. By default the ip address should be set to 192.168.1.1.

Then a logon screen should appear with to boxes

The defualt Log in is usally...

Username:admin
Password:password
That is unless you have changed it

Then Go down to the DDNS page

And take a screen shot and upload here so we can see your settings to see if they are the problem

-SpuD-