Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stranded in Prague with WiFi Problems

• Please log in to reply

rxdotcom

rxdotcom

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
This is a strange one....all the way from the Czech republic!!!

My daughter has a new HP laptp with a wireless WiFi and Vista.
She can connect to a network in a Internet cafe, but cannot access the internet.
She has CA Internet security (which I disabled) and running only Windows Firewall.

It is costing me a fortune every time she calls!
I hope someone can help, so then next time she calls I can tell her how to get this corrected

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Has this laptop been on the Internet before? Check it hasn't got any proxy servers set up (such as ISP specific ones) and that it is actually connected to the network (may be a bad key). Do other connections work in the cafe? Can the cafe not offer assistance? :whistling:

For Proxies -> Control Panel -> Internet Options -> Connections -> LAN Settings.

rxdotcom

rxdotcom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
It has been on the internet in the United States with no problems whatsoever. It seems to have started in Prague. I will have her check if there are any other setups as you suggested and will respond in a day or so when I can get in touch with her.

Also, she is the only one with Vista, everyone else has XP>
The cafe has no clue (nor do they speak English !)

Thanks