Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can I share my Laptop & NAS with other PC's?

• Please log in to reply

jamiemac

jamiemac

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
OK I have looked pretty hard for a post on this topc but can't find anything definite.

I want to share out my NAS to other PC's on my network. Sounds simple huh?

Here’s my home network:
Netgear wireless router plugged in to my phone line. IP 192.168.1.1
Vista laptop wirelessly connects to the Netgear router as 192.168.1.x DHCP
HomePlug adapter plugged in to the mains electricity and also in to the Netgear router via RJ45 (no ip address as far as I know)
HomePlug wireless access point (located two floors away) IP 192.168.1.254
XP laptop wirelessly connects to the HomePlug access point. Laptop wireless connection LAN IP 192.1.168.x DHCP
Maxtor Network Storage Device connected via RJ45 to my laptop

My problem :
The XP laptop happily backs up to the Maxtor each night using Acronis TrueImage (great product by the way) , but the Vista laptop can’t see the Maxtor Networked Storage device at all.

The Maxtor came with a default IP address of 169.254.0.1
So if I configured my XP laptop’s LAN Connection properties (Internet protocol TCP/IP) to 169.254.0.2 and whey hey it works fine. I can even configured the Maxtor to be in the same workgroup as my laptop thus allowing me to map it as a drive. So far so good.

However my Vista laptop downstaris in the kitchen see the Maxtor on the network and neither does it show up as an 'attached device' on the Netgear Router screen. “Aha”, I hear you say, “why don’t you configure the Maxtor to (say) 192.168.1.10 and the XP laptop LAN TCP/IP connection to (say) 192.168.1.11? Well that's what I tried, but no luck.

It could just be that my laptop is not working properly but I just wanted to check I understand the whole IP mask thing. For all devices I am configuring a mask of 255.255.255.0 and default gateway and Primary DNS to 192.168.1.1.

(I could plug the Maxtor in to the either the Netgear Router or the Homeplug Access point but that would be bad as I would lose the high speed link to my laptop as wireless is much slower.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Thanks,

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Give This tutorial by SpaceCowboy706 a read, it's got just about everything you'd need to know.

you've got to have every device on the same IP subnet (i.e. 192.168.0.1 or 1.1 or whatever)

also...the maxtor device HAS to be plugged into the network not into your laptops ethernet port...otherwise no one but the laptop will see it

jamiemac

jamiemac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Many thanks for your instantaneous reply dsenette, I just love this forum!

I think you have answered my question straight off in that if I connect my NAS direct to my laptop via ethernet cable then no other device on the network would be able to see it. That's a real shame as doing backups wirelessly is soooo SLOOOOOW! :whistling: