Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Thoughts/advice about new build

• Please log in to reply

mozzer11

mozzer11

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
I'm going to be building a new PC soon so I wanted your views on the parts i've chosen and also to make sure everything is compatible. I'm using the motherboard and RAM from my other PC because they're good enough for me at the moment.

CPU - Athlon X2 6000.
MOBO - Gigabyte GA-M55plus-S3G.
RAM - Super Talent 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 800.
GFX - BFG OC2 8800GTS 640MB.
HDD - Need your recommendations on this. I'm looking for one with at least 300GB and 16mb cache.
PSU - OCZ GameXStream 700W.
Case - I'll be using my old case which is a Thermaltake Mambo.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Advertisements

mozzer11

mozzer11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
Also, if anyone could tell me a good online store (in the UK) to buy the parts from that would be great.

phatjo911

phatjo911

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
For the HDD, I'd recommend this.- http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822148134

It has 750GB and 16mb cache for $200 USD

And if you have the cash, I think you should go for the 8800 GTX, as they're about $100 USD more than the video card you chose.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
What are your intentions on using the computer for?
Can you give me a budget for the HD?
I try to stay away from OCZ for higher end systems, would you be open to suggestions for a different PSU.
Can you give me the site your purchasing these products from?
James

mozzer11

mozzer11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

What are your intentions on using the computer for?
Can you give me a budget for the HD?
I try to stay away from OCZ for higher end systems, would you be open to suggestions for a different PSU.
Can you give me the site your purchasing these products from?
James

I'll be using it mostly for gaming. My budget for the HDD is around £100, which is about $200 I think.
As for the PSU i'm open to other suggestions, I would prefer it to be the modular type though.
I haven't found a site to buy from yet, I just wanted to put together a list and then find a good online retailer.
Thanks for your help.

Albino

Albino

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Mozzer, I suggest buying from ebuyer.com, aria.co.uk or misco.co.uk.

I've bought from all three and never had any trouble. Between them you'll find the cheapest deals on the internet. Ebuyer is usually the cheapest but check the others for the things you want, I use ebuyer the most but sometimes the other sites have some products cheaper.

Good luck with the build :whistling:

Edited by Albino, 05 September 2007 - 05:31 PM.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

I'm going to be building a new PC soon so I wanted your views on the parts i've chosen and also to make sure everything is compatible. I'm using the motherboard and RAM from my other PC because they're good enough for me at the moment.

CPU - Athlon X2 6000.
MOBO - Gigabyte GA-M55plus-S3G.
RAM - Super Talent 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 800.
GFX - BFG OC2 8800GTS 640MB.
HDD - Need your recommendations on this. I'm looking for one with at least 300GB and 16mb cache.
PSU - OCZ GameXStream 700W.
Case - I'll be using my old case which is a Thermaltake Mambo.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Looks pretty good. If you are a gamer and want to have a CPU that will last you a little longer I would go Intel. AMD is not really on top anymore for processors. Intel chips are really good now a days with a better bang for your buck and more performance. But if you are locked on AMD then that is fine, it is one of the best AMD processors out there. If you go Intel I would go with the E6750 or E6850. These E6750s are able to be overclocked to extreme levels. They have been able to get like a +50% overclock on them with stock cooling I believe.

Edited by jackflash1991, 05 September 2007 - 06:16 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
http://www.ebuyer.co...duct_uid=119501
http://www.ebuyer.co...uct/113428/rb/0
If you want more space get a second, it's much more economical this way.
If that PSU is too pricy let me know.
James
Edit: AMD has a better performance/$ ratio.

Edited by james_8970, 05 September 2007 - 06:20 PM.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
That is not nessasaraly the case. For most of the games on tom's hardware charts I am getting a better ratio with the E6750. The E6750s are $200 right now and the AMD +6000s are $170 from Newegg. Plus all of the new games that are coming out will make performance to $$$ ratio split even more. But AMD for older games and applications seems to exceed at the ratio and it is pretty close to the E6750s in games so it is still a good choice.