Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help! No Respone

• Please log in to reply

woodland-valley

woodland-valley

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi all, i have a prob. when i click on any icons on my desktop, the prog does not launch. however when i go safe mode, i don't seem to have this prob. can expert help me. thanks :whistling:

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there woodland-valley, welcome to Geeks to Go!

This does sound like an interesting problem, but I have one suggestion:

I think a friend has played a trick on you. If you right-click on the desktop, select properties, select the desktop tab, and change your wallpaper! Just change it to anything for now, like the "Windows XP" one is fine, then click Apply (but not OK yet). Then click on the Customise Desktop button and tick each item you want shown on the desktop underneath the Desktop icons heading.

Last but not least, open the control panel. (If you can't find the Start menu, press the windows logo button on your keyboard) Open the Task Bar and Start Menu applet, uncheck both "Lock the taskbar" and "Auto-hide the taskbar", then OK your way back to the desktop. You may need to move the task bar back to where you had it (usually the bottom).

If I'm wrong, let me know, but hope this helps! :whistling:

woodland-valley

woodland-valley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
hi, thanks for the response. i am the only one using the pc, so i don't think any1 played a trick on me. when i click on the start button, control panel, nuttin happen. after following yr advice to change the wallpaper, i am able to launch some prog but still having prob launching IE and NIS :blink:

Hi there woodland-valley, welcome to Geeks to Go!

This does sound like an interesting problem, but I have one suggestion:

I think a friend has played a trick on you. If you right-click on the desktop, select properties, select the desktop tab, and change your wallpaper! Just change it to anything for now, like the "Windows XP" one is fine, then click Apply (but not OK yet). Then click on the Customise Desktop button and tick each item you want shown on the desktop underneath the Desktop icons heading.

Last but not least, open the control panel. (If you can't find the Start menu, press the windows logo button on your keyboard) Open the Task Bar and Start Menu applet, uncheck both "Lock the taskbar" and "Auto-hide the taskbar", then OK your way back to the desktop. You may need to move the task bar back to where you had it (usually the bottom).

If I'm wrong, let me know, but hope this helps! :whistling:

woodland-valley

woodland-valley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
hi, i tried to create another user in safe mode. restarted and loggin using the new user, everything seem fine now for the new user a/c :whistling:

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Well it does sound a bit weird, but glad some things are working now! My only other guess is that you have some malware on your system. I strongly suggest you follow these instructions.

Cheers! :whistling: