Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sata 150 compatibility

• Please log in to reply

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Using this motherboard.... http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813121100
which says to use SATA 3Gb/s type HD

Was thinking of using this HD as it beats the 7,200 rpm sync time at 10,000 rpm but its Sata150
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822136012

Will it be compatible as far as are the connectors the same

and

also am i gaining seek time speed by going with the sata150 10,000 rpm VS it being a SATA 3Gb/s 7200 rpm

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
SATA 3Gb/s is a theoretical maximum that will probably not be reached in terms of drive performance for a good few months yet.
You'll probably find the actual speed of a SATA II drive is no faster than a SATA I drive in terms of performance.
However a 10k RPM will yield a performance increase on its own over a 7200 rpm drive if the rest of the system is up to par.
To answer the other question, SATA I drives will work on SATA II ports but SATA II Drives may not work on SATA I ports without capping them back to 1.5Gb/s. The connectors are all the same.

Edited by Neil Jones, 06 September 2007 - 03:12 PM.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Outstanding... Thanks for the info Neil