Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

3D games boot back to desktop

• Please log in to reply

nbaldwin

nbaldwin

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm having a problem with 3 games that will not run on my computer. About a week ago I installed a second stick of 512 ram. The ram shows up fine and I ran memtest for about 12 hours and no error messages came up. However, every time I try to play NASCAR 2003, Madden07, or TW07, it looks like it's going to run and then it just boots me back to the desktop but the game still shows up on the task bar as running. I've updated video drivers and even flashed my bios with no change. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Windows: Windows XP5.1 (Build 2600) Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180
Memory (RAM): 1024 MB
CPU: AMD Athlon™ XP 2600+
CPU Speed: 2074.3 MHz
Sound card: Santa Cruz™
Display Adapters: VisionTek RADEON X1950 Pro XGE | VisionTek RADEON X1950 Pro XGE Secondary | NetMeeting driver | RDPDD Chained DD
Screen Resolution: 1280 X 1024 - 32 bit
:
Network Adapters: Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC - Packet Scheduler Miniport | NETGEAR FA311 Fast Ethernet Adapter - Packet Scheduler Miniport
CD / DVD Drives: E: SONY DVD RW DRU-710A | F: ATAPI CD-RW 52X24
:
COM Ports: COM1 | COM2
LPT Ports: LPT1
Mouse: 5 Button Wheel Mouse Present
Hard Disks: C: 114.5GB | D: 18.6GB
Hard Disks - Free: C: 7.9GB | D: 2.8MB
USB Controllers: 4 host controllers.
Firewire (1394): Not Detected
:
Manufacturer: Phoenix Technologies, LTD
Product Make: KT400-8235
:
AC Power Status: OnLine
BIOS Info: ATAT COMPATIBLE 120304 AOPEN 42302e31
Time Zone: Central Standard Time
Battery: No Battery
Motherboard: 1294
Modem: Not detected

Advertisements

ADNoland

ADNoland

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
I wouldn't think this a memory related problem. I think all of those games are EA Sports titles also.. hmmm

First thing is have you downloaded and installed the most recent updates for these games? Just a basic question, EA support would have you do the same :whistling: May want to reinstall the latest DirectX drivers also. Do you play any other games or just these games?

I'm curious if its some strange EA related problem or something wrong with your system in general.

For now, I got nothing :blink: I'll keep looking around to see if I can find anymore information but hopefully someone else on these forums knows more than me.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I had the same problem before. It was a driver issue even though I had installed and reinstalled multiple times. Here is a quote from my own thread with the simular problem

I don't think Nvidia supports their older drivers or has them on their website. Anyways the problem was fixed on driver re-install #4. I unplugged my X-box 360 controller and my printer (all my USB componants) which was the only difference from two of the other re-installs. So if anyone else has problems give that a shot.

Thanks anyways.

So I would unistall your drivers then reboot. When you get back close at all the programs that you can (especially your anti-virus) and unplug all your USB devices before giving it another go.

nbaldwin

nbaldwin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I had the same problem before. It was a driver issue even though I had installed and reinstalled multiple times. Here is a quote from my own thread with the simular problem

I don't think Nvidia supports their older drivers or has them on their website. Anyways the problem was fixed on driver re-install #4. I unplugged my X-box 360 controller and my printer (all my USB componants) which was the only difference from two of the other re-installs. So if anyone else has problems give that a shot.

Thanks anyways.

So I would unistall your drivers then reboot. When you get back close at all the programs that you can (especially your anti-virus) and unplug all your USB devices before giving it another go.

I'll give that a try. Odd that you mention the XBox 360 controller. I'd just added the wireless reciever for my wireless controller.

nbaldwin

nbaldwin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well, maybe it is a driver issue, not sure. I uninstalled my video driver, and totaly uninstalled the 360 controller. Rebooted and NR2003 will now boot up but runs at a whopping 12 FPS no matter what res I use or options turned on/off. As a ref. point, I use to could run it from 30FPS to 60FPS. Still stumped but making progress.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Did you reinstall the driver? I didn't uninstall the drivers for my 360 controller I just unplugged it from my computer. Are you using the latest drivers from the ATI website?

nbaldwin

nbaldwin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Did you reinstall the driver? I didn't uninstall the drivers for my 360 controller I just unplugged it from my computer. Are you using the latest drivers from the ATI website?

I've used both the latest drivers from ATI's website and rolled back to my previous drivers with pretty much no change. Thing that stinks about this is NR2003 was one of the main reasons I upgraded my RAM to start with! :whistling: