Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First Time Computer builder

• Please log in to reply

RASENGAN

RASENGAN

• Pip
  • 3 posts
im a first time comp builder, i have no parts yet, basically on here to get some ideas on good, trustworthy parts to use for the comp i build

This computer will be for home use, i watch ALOT of anime, and i can only DL a little at a time on the family compter, thats why i want my own, also for when i move out, but yeah i also have TONS of music, it will mainly be used for anime watching, manga reading, making anime wallpapers (for fun), schoolwork, internet, music (i have an iPod), all in all a home computer with a little more kick than usual

If anyone can help me in the idea department, i dont knowmuch computer terminology, i fix them occasional, but its minor stuff, and most of the hard stuff, is just going by sight and memory

Advertisements

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Well it sounds like you are an average user who watches "ALOT" of anime. If you are saving all of this anime and music to your computer then I would get a large 7,200RPM hard drive, DVD&CD drive, a basic mobo, an Intel Core 2 Duo (any would probably due for you), and 1GB/1.5GB of RAM.

PS: Welcome to Geeks to Go.

Edited by jackflash1991, 07 September 2007 - 07:56 PM.

RASENGAN

RASENGAN

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for welcoming me, but yeah its for short time storage, u know i can DL a gang of anime then watch it gradually, i usually burn the ones i really like to CD-R to keep, and watch when i want

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi RASENGAN! I have a few more questions for you:

making anime wallpapers (for fun)

1) What program would you use for this? Do you do any serious image and video editing?

2) Do you play any 3D games at all?

3) Can you give us some idea of a budget?

Answers to these will help give us a better picture of what would suit you for your needs.

RASENGAN

RASENGAN

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
as for vido and photo, nothing too serious, mostly a few AMV's, maybe toying around with creating wallpapers

no games whatsoever, other than the basic stuff, u know solitare, pinball, spades, etc.

budget is about $5-600, i know pretty much WHAT i want, i just want to get some input, cuz i know the parts have to compatible

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

budget is about $5-600, i know pretty much WHAT i want, i just want to get some input, cuz i know the parts have to compatible

Yes the parts do need to be compatible :blink: Can you please post the information you have on what you want? If you specifically want any parts, let us know this too. We could use it as a starting point, it would be most helpful. Here's an example of an answer I'm looking for:

I was thinking of getting an AMD processor, would you recommend them?
I definitely want 2GB of RAM.

As you don't play games, I would suggest using onboard graphics. You'll need a DVD Burner to burn your videos to disc. A 320GB Hard Drive should be enough space for your videos, right?

Are you going with XP or Vista? Will we need to factor in the cost of it or do you already have a copy for this build?

Let us know when you're ready! :whistling:
If you are unsure about anything, please ask!