Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

little squares become questionable.

• Please log in to reply

Ail

Ail

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My dad's computer is quite old but it has windows xp and it's been upgraded as far as the hard drive goes.
A few days ago he noticed that occasionally a small white square appeared right under the cursor. The square is about the size of the cursor itself but obviously a different shape. He also noticed that in his google toolbar, the part where you are supposed to type in your search, there is also a box lining the inside of the area where you type. His computer was a bit slow and it has gone a little faster but it is still slow. I am not sure if he noticed this using any other programs but when i went and looked at it, he was using Mozilla Firefox. He is concerened he has a virus, that is why i am on here consulting experts lol. Also his anti-virus scans at 3:30am each morning. It normally takes 20 minutes to do a certain number of files. Well when he checked this two days ago, it was the same number of files but it took an hour and a half to complete.

If anyone has any idea what is going on that would be great.
thanks.

Advertisements

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Open Task Manager and see how many running processes are listed. A lot of running processes can use a lot of resources causing a slow down in the system.

Try turning off/disabling unneeded services: http://www.blackvipe.../servicecfg.htm

Especially the "Indexing Service".

Does the computer stay on 24/7? If so, try rebooting every now and then.

You've run a virus scan, have you ran a spyware scan also?

Just a few suggestions.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
I was also about to say, if the computer's on permanently, the little white squares might be a temporary one-off problem that can be sorted by a simple reboot - this happens on occasion when a program malfunctions and closes abruptly.

Ail

Ail

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks.

but i am still worried about the little boxes.
they just all of a sudden appeared.
is there a way that google tracks your mouse or anything?
what could explain the little boxes?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Google does not track mouse clicks or anything else.
It could be malware/ spyware.
You can get a clean bill of health by going to http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html .
In doing the preparation steps, if there is anything there, you will resolve most problems.
You can then post a HJT log if needed.