Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless card for Thinkpad

• Please log in to reply

alosito

alosito

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I would like to buy a Thinkpad, and I am trying to choose the right configuration. One of the options that I have is to choose a wireless card. The choices are:

Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [subtract $34.00]
ThinkPad 11a/b/g Wi-Fi wireless LAN Mini-PCIe US/EMEA/LA/ANZ [subtract $38.25]
Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN

Does anybody know what the advantages of Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN are? I do need WiFi in my laptop to connect to the wireless router at home and to different access points (e.g. in hotels) when I am on the road. Which of the above wireless cards would you recommend and is it worth paying $38 extra for Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN?

Available wireless cards for Lenovo's laptops

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

All I can tell you about the WiFi Link card is this:
It is a quad-mode card which means it supports the 3 legacy wireless standards (i.e 802.11a/b/g) plus the next generation Draft-N standard used in "Connect with Intel Centrino" Wireless-N routers & access points.
When connected to a wireless-N router or AP, the wireless range should be better (x2) & the speed much faster (upto 300Mbps), in theory at least and according to Intel.

The other 2 cards listed don't support the wireless-n standard.