Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help

• Please log in to reply

nolby2173

nolby2173

• Pip
  • 4 posts
im having trouble with my internet. i have comcast highspeed internet, and an okay windows me system but windows me is just terrible in general. After about a day my internet wil not work, it will not find the homepage which is comcast.net but occasionally it will find google. It takes about 10000 times more for a simple page to load if at all, but for some reason i think it might still be connected to the internet. I also need a free spyware program to get rid of the crap on my computer. the last one i had would start a search then the program would just freeze, which has now also happend to my ad- aware program.
Please help im dying here

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Nolby, the for the past week, the entire Comcast system has had trouble. Beginning tuesday, they had a near system wide DNS failure and the problem recurred Wednesday, and it was a little spotty on Thursday in some areas, too.

DNS is the function by which ip addresses are translated to "english" --ie, www.geekstogo.com...your computer has no clue what www.geekstogo.com means, so it contacts a DNS server owned by comcast, which then tells the computer where to find the server.

Without it, the web does not work, though you may still have email, usenet, IRC and IM.

All seems to be well today, but since comcast isn't really talking about what is going on its hard to tell. Unofficially, it's a massive denial of service attack on the DNS servers...

nolby2173

nolby2173

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thank you very much you are so far correct because since yesterday it has been much better, thank you for your help .

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Comcast is giving you a 1.84 or something a day credit on your bill if you call and complain :tazz:

nolby2173

nolby2173

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
wow you really know whats goin on around here haha!!