Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop screen goes black when I turn it on

• Please log in to reply

UberMario

UberMario

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
Well, it doesn't "go black", it stays black. Just doesn't turn on. No beeps go off when I boot up my laptop, nothing ever appears on the screen. I hear the fans running at a moderate-cpu-usage speed, and the spot where the harddrive sits is burning hot. It is always plugged into the wall, and.. I'm basically stuck. It happened last night when I took a picture with my cellphone, quickly pressed the cellphone's power button to turn it off (so I can access the files from my computer), plugged it in through usb, and then around the same time the cellphone turned off, the monitor turned off. I was quite stuck after that, and decided to turn it off then on, and now I am where I am now. My laptop is an Acer Aspire 5100. I really wish I have never bought anything from them, I already replaced the motherboard once, replaced the harddrive on my own because it would be cheaper to, than to ship it to them and back (I've to pay for both ways). They also have NO no-lemons guarantee, so no matter what, they won't replace the system. This laptop makes me so bitter.

Anyways, I was just guessing that maybe popping the cover and unplugging and plugging back in the ram, vidcard (if I can find it...) and the hard drive might resolve the problem if it's just a loose connection. Say yes, and I'll go ahead and do that now.

Ask any other questions.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You can try it but normally no signs of life apart from a fan indicate the main board is dead which often means the laptop is a write-off.

UberMario

UberMario

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
I took out the haddrive and put it back in and it's working just fine.