Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Disconnecting Randomly

• Please log in to reply

Giggster

Giggster

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Well, my internet is randomly disconnecting from all my programs, and then right away connecting back to everything, but for appx 10seconds I have no internet access, Im From Canada, I run Rogers Cable Internet My computer is farily new and this is a recent issue, so I do not believe it is an hardware issue. I have ran both AVG and Ad-Aware both fully updated and neither pulled up anything.

In my Eventvwr I am able to see a issue that happen each time Source:DHCP ID: 1002

I talked with LindaGail(live Chat), she told me it was an issue with the connection from ISP and that I would have to have some wiring between the poles and my house replaced, I also talked with an ISP Rep. Who told me the issue was between my computer and modem, because the ISP logs showed my computer had be connected for over 32hours, when the disconnects had happened so frequently, Right now we plan to renew and release my IP. I Also DO NOT run a router, I did have the issue when i was on my router, but i connected it, and then went right to my modem and the issue continued, thanks for any help that can be given, for any more info needed, please ask and post away! thanks a ton

Edit: My IP is set to reset once an hour, i think this is why and when it happens, just trying to figure out how to avoid this.

Edited by Giggster, 09 September 2007 - 05:04 PM.

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
One tool you might consider using is a WinSock repair utility. Look here for winsockxpfix.exe, my personal favorite. It's gotten me out of many jams.
Also, what computer is affected? Make sure that you only have one program (usually windows network connections) managing your network connections. If you have two or more programs trying to manage your network, it gets messy. Trust me. >.<
Check your TCP/IP settings and make sure (with the ISP's guidance) that DHCP is turned on. Often, if your computer doesn't have the DHCP on, but the ISP does, it creates serious problems. But check first with your ISP to make sure DHCP is supposed to be on.
Are you using a modem or a NIC (i.e. do you use a phone line or a CAT5 cable)? Either way, check the power management settings and make sure that the hardware isn't resetting under any wierd circumstances. I've noticed that this particular solution is more applicable to modem users than NIC, but go ahead and check anyways.

Happy hunting! Keep us updated!

Giggster

Giggster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Well I cannot run that applacation because its not a valid win32 program or something (im not the best with computers as you can see so i dont understand why or what not ill look into this)

Also I guess I only have 1 program managing my net, I also have my IP lease only 1hour and it resets each hour, and disconnects happen in between, tonight ill be calling to ask about the DHCP. And no its not a phone line, modem, also when the computer Disconnects from the net, the power supply light stays on, the send and recieve lights do not, and the Cable light also does not stay on if this is any help if its my computer or my ISP or something in between. thanks if you can toss me any more help thats great, (maybe with some more steps on how to do it)

Logis

Logis

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
If the ISP kicks you off every hour and that is when you are disconnected then that makes sense. Maybe the ISP is overloaded from resetting alot of connections and therefore it takes time to renew your IP addy. Since it is a new problem I would certainly think of taking it up with them.

Giggster

Giggster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Well the disconnects happen randomly, not just everyhour when the IP Resets, i just called the ISP and they said there was nothing wrong on their end, and that it had to be something on mine, which i dont know what it could be

I have an ISP rep coming to check out the cable connection from my house to my modem and modem to computer and all that goodness

Edited by Giggster, 10 September 2007 - 08:07 PM.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Hi,

Do I understand correctly that on your cable box, when the disconnects happen, the power supply light is the only light that stays on? If this is the case, it sounds like a hardware issue, specifically the cable box itself or the connection from the cable to the house, or the house to the ISP. Also, is your phone connected through the cable box too? I have Comcast, and both my internet and phone are cable (i.e. go through the cable box). If this is the case, next time a disconnect happens, try using the phone while you don't have internet. This information can help the service man solve the problem when he comes.

Good luck!

Giggster

Giggster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I dont for sure know if this happens, but for sure ill check it out, its something that hasnt crossed my mind, but ive also seen my TV which is from my ISP and i believe through the cable box has been disconnecting and going blank randomly, hopefully the isp guy will be here soon

EDIT: Just had the people here, recieved a new modem, and some new cable, and was just connected again, so im thinking it has to be something in my computer, i just cant figure out what

Edited by Giggster, 11 September 2007 - 08:17 AM.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
I think you made a typo.

Just had the people here... and was just connected again....

Did you mean to say that you were disconnected again and that you are still having the problem? Next time it disconnects, look at the cable box. does it still go blank? (Everyone else, correct me if I'm wrong) If the cable box still goes blank (except for the power light), it looks like a problem with the box or it's connection to the ISP, because some of those lights indicate a connection from the box to the ISP.

So that we can serve you better, who is your ISP, phone, and TV provider?

Giggster

Giggster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Rogers Severs all Three of those, when I dc'd The phone and the TV were working, the guys said my ping was great and i just got a new modem, i didnt look at the lights but i will next time, im just wondering if this has to do with my router if when it was plugged in it caused some issues, with the connection I dont know :whistling:

Edited by Giggster, 11 September 2007 - 09:07 AM.