Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Display Problem...

• Please log in to reply

Azure1203

Azure1203

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Posted Image

Notice the million lines going up and down over numerous parts of the screen.

What do I do to fix it?

Advertisements

dr.huynh

dr.huynh

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Go to the following Geekstogo forum post and follow the directions...

http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html

Azure1203

Azure1203

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Ummm, I don't think this is a spyware related problem.

Its a display problem, hardware, software most likely.

Azure1203

Azure1203

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Just for the record...I have un-installed, re-installed my drivers....removed the video card and put it back in again.....updated everything....same problem.

dr.huynh

dr.huynh

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Be honest... have you followed the instructions at this Geekstogo forum post:

http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html

If your answer is "yes" and you are still experiencing the same problem, then at least we can all agree that it's not a malware problem.

I need the specifications of your computer system. Use either Belarc Advisor or SIW (System Information for Windows).

Link for SIW... http://www.gtopala.com/

Link for Belarc Advisor... http://www.belarc.co...e_download.html

I need the make and model, motherboard, CPU, RAM, hard drive, video card, etc.

All the hardware aspects of your computer; just post it here.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Have you checked to see what your display settings (Control Panel>Display>Advanced button) are set to yet? Possibly changed. Aside from all the questions from dr.huynh, did this just start happening on its own, after some change(s) you made on your machine? Micro$oft has issued a few updates recently. I don't think they are connected to your problem, but if problem started soon after updates were installed it's a possibility. Have you gone online to see if your driver is the latest one available? Could swap out video cable if you have a spare just to check. Some games have a bad habit of making changes which stick even after you close them.

Ron

Azure1203

Azure1203

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Have you checked to see what your display settings (Control Panel>Display>Advanced button) are set to yet? Possibly changed. Aside from all the questions from dr.huynh, did this just start happening on its own, after some change(s) you made on your machine? Micro$oft has issued a few updates recently. I don't think they are connected to your problem, but if problem started soon after updates were installed it's a possibility. Have you gone online to see if your driver is the latest one available? Could swap out video cable if you have a spare just to check. Some games have a bad habit of making changes which stick even after you close them.

Ron

Okay, this is really weird.

I did notice that it happened right after playing Enemy Territory....and I had to restart my computer for the Itunes update today, and the problem went away.

Strange.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
The game may be the culprit. Don't know if you have mode options to select from inside the game, but try running game in a smaller window and see whether or not problem returns. I have games, that when played, I get an on screen notice that my video display is being adjusted.

Ron

Azure1203

Azure1203

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

The game may be the culprit. Don't know if you have mode options to select from inside the game, but try running game in a smaller window and see whether or not problem returns. I have games, that when played, I get an on screen notice that my video display is being adjusted.

Ron

I'll check that out.

Thanks!

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You're welcome. Post back if you get it pinned down. I hate the games that don't give me options about vid display and just adjust them at load time.

Ron

Azure1203

Azure1203

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

You're welcome. Post back if you get it pinned down. I hate the games that don't give me options about vid display and just adjust them at load time.

Ron

Yep.

I ran the game at a slightly smaller resolution just to be sure the problem doesn't come back.

I guess we'll see from now on.

It is an OpenGL supported game(I think, correct me if I'm wrong)...and searching on Google...there were others that had the same problem.

And given that it is already 5-6 years old, I doubt it will ever be updated.

Azure1203

Azure1203

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
BTW, I know this is off-topic, but how do I set my control panel so that every topic I start doesn't get an automatic subscription.

I don't really mind it that much....because it lets me know if someone has responded, but as I get involved more here, I wouldn't want an email for every thread I start.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Go to Control Panel then scroll down to Options. Click on E-Mail Settings. Set your Options under Board preferences.

Ron

Azure1203

Azure1203

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanks again!

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts