Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fresh install problems

• Please log in to reply

Boxoboom

Boxoboom

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:tazz: ;) Hi folks,

I am not a happy camper .... I have recently purchased a 2nd 754 semperon 3000+ 64bit amd and a asus k8n-e mthrbrd. 1 gig of corsair ( in matched 512 pairs) pc 3200, ati video 256mb video card , wd 80 gig 7200 w 8meg buffer. Pwr supply is a brand new 400 watt.

It posts wonderfully ... gdisk'd the hdd .... two partitions, formated both, ran smartdrv, started to load windows xp pro . The thing copies all the startup files that it needs, tells you that it is ready to load windows, rebootsnprmally , once back in to loading mode it asks if you have any third party raid drivers .. ( no) starts to copy windows .. gets going light speed ... the screen goes black and it reboots only to get to the exact same screen and do it again . Fact is, if I left it alone, it would do this inperpituity( Forever) !

I have had this happen on the first socket 754 64 bit chip I bought with a older asus mthrbrd KT8 I believe. I was able to cure it by slowing the processor down along with the fsb and memory to their respective lowest timings .. I have looked at this board ... once I take it off of factory default , I can put it into manual and raise the core voltage to 1.75 I cannot adjust the multiplier down past 4 ( it goes up to 12+ if memory serves) and this still doesn't change anything .. !

This is not the first time I have built a computer ... Fact is I have quite a few under my belt .. I have always had to slow FSB and cpu's down to get things loaded as dos is so cantankerous about speed ... any suggestions, help ?? I am about ready to pull what little hair I have left out of my head ! ! !

Thanks in advance

Box !

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Wrong forum my friend. This is for software-related problems. You will most likely get a response if you posted on one of the HARDWARE forums as it seems to be a hardware issue.

Boxoboom

Boxoboom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Sorry guys .. will look else wheres.

Tks

Box

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Well, it is also technically an install OS issue, isn't it?

Kind of gray area....

Box, a couple questions/comments

First, you note it craps out at a certain point, the same point--what point would that be? A specific file is being copied? A certain percentage?

Have you tried for a minimal install....remove all peripherals and disable onboard everything other than video?

Are you using a USB mouse/keyboard? Everyonce in a while, I run into a system that just will not install with those.

Install with one stick of ram.

Most current BIOS?